View topic - All of Northern Ontario Under Fire Ban!

It is currently August 10th, 2020, 2:15 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: April 2nd, 2020, 3:03 pm 

https://www.baytoday.ca/local-news/all- ... ns-2221320

PostPosted: April 2nd, 2020, 3:04 pm 

http://www.affes.mnr.gov.on.ca/Extranet ... m=referral

PostPosted: April 3rd, 2020, 7:16 am 

I find this interesting as there have been a number of people sneaking into closed parks and going out to crown land sites.
They may not be able to kick you off the crown land but if you have a fire under these circumstance and the fire ban laws, well the fines will be more than steep.
Interesting way to try and keep people home.
Jeff

Choosing to save a river is more often an act of passion than of careful calculation. You make the choice because the river has touched your life in an intimate and irreversible way, because you are unwilling to accept its loss. — (David Bolling, Ho

PostPosted: April 3rd, 2020, 9:53 am 

There is a bit more to it than that. Primarily, MNRF is worried about having enough crews this summer to combat any forest fires. They are not able to train any new crews right now either, so they will be functioning with a reduced number. Banning fires does discourage back yards gatherings, but that is not the primary intention of this ban. If the encouragement of social distancing had been foremost, they would have carried the ban into southern Ontario as well.

PostPosted: April 3rd, 2020, 9:55 am 

Actually the ban is the whole province.

PostPosted: April 3rd, 2020, 2:07 pm 

No. Check the map referenced above. Basically just the shield.

PostPosted: April 3rd, 2020, 7:47 pm 

listen I get it, I understand the need for the bans. The govt has cut the ministry in half and now...wait oops I almost went off grid again lol. But seriously, in my case and several here, I backcountry camp and regularly cook with my folding fire box which I fuel with twigs and pine cones. Am I and others like me a threat? really? there has to be better exceptions to the rule(s). Having said that I guess I check if propane canisters are on sale anywhere.

PostPosted: April 4th, 2020, 5:56 am 

Many fires in the North are caused by humans. You would not believe the things I have seen. People walking away from their fires at night without dousing them, fire pits still smoking during the day after canoeists have left, there are a lot of reprobates out there. Shutting down everything this year is probably a good thing. Most northern cities that act as evac centres for First Nations have closed their doors as well, so when fires threaten reserves, there will be no place for them to go. Using a stove on a canoe trip is not the end of the word.

I am a little miffed at not being able to have a fire in my screened in fire box in my back yard right now, when I had to dig through three feet of snow to uncover it, but I understand the intentions of trying to mitigate a difficult situation. Probably won't be long before municipalities in southern Ontario follow along.

PostPosted: April 4th, 2020, 7:29 am 

We already have a ban in Halton Hills, and the fire department isn't giving out permits for backyard pits. Mostly to protect fire crews from having to deal with extra calls, or having to respond to a house because someone did something stupid.

I totally get a fire ban across the province. As much as many of us would prefer to be in the backcountry next to a fire, and anticipating the bugs, as a form of isolation, the reality is that doing so endangers others. If something goes wrong and someone has to come and get you, you are taking someone off the front line, you are endangering their family, and being selfish. Do the right thing. Stay home.

PostPosted: April 5th, 2020, 9:33 am 

Satchmo wrote:
We already have a ban in Halton Hills, and the fire department isn't giving out permits for backyard pits. Mostly to protect fire crews from having to deal with extra calls, or having to respond to a house because someone did something stupid.

I totally get a fire ban across the province. As much as many of us would prefer to be in the backcountry next to a fire, and anticipating the bugs, as a form of isolation, the reality is that doing so endangers others. If something goes wrong and someone has to come and get you, you are taking someone off the front line, you are endangering their family, and being selfish. Do the right thing. Stay home.

And yet it is ok to ride a motorcycle... . I find this frustrating because of the stats and dangers riding. It should be banned too if we are seriously trying to cut down on emergency calls.