View topic - Temagami - Solace River PP

It is currently January 17th, 2021, 2:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: July 9th, 2020, 8:50 pm 

Hey folks,
So am thinking of heading to Temagami on Monday for 13 days with the kids - 12 and 14. Last year we made it in to Florence Lake from Temagami Central put in.
Would like to get into Solace Lake area wondering where you suggest we should start? Would like to stay away from Lake Temagami and the Obabika/Diamond area as I suspect it could be busy?

thanks for any suggestions.

rab

PostPosted: July 10th, 2020, 7:35 am 

I would suggest the Twinkle Lake access. There is a description on the Friends of Temagami FB page, on the post dated June 12. The road is reportedly in good condition with some parking.

https://www.facebook.com/friendsoftemagami

Kinguq.

PostPosted: July 10th, 2020, 3:42 pm 

Thanks Kinguq,
I'll be driving a dodge caravan, from the sounds of it I can drive safely the entire way (slowly). Seems wrong to be able to drive all the way in there!
I can't tell from you links, but should I still plan on a 1.3k hike from the parking area, or do the new roads allow for closer access?

rab

PostPosted: July 10th, 2020, 6:24 pm 

Tough 2 - more like 3 days from Twinkle to Florence through Pinetorch. Lot's of walking on the wild side, might be discouraging for kids. If you decide to miss Florence altogether and go directly to Solace through Seagram and Bluesucker, it's a beautiful area, but you'll have to return by the same route.

Access from Chance lake is much more straightforward directly to Florence and can be done without portaging at all, or with some portaging through Dees. Road to Chance is usually in good shape, though the access is further north than Twinkle. From Florence you can go either directly to Bluesucker or first south by Ames creek and then west to Bluesucker and Solace.

Another very good alternative is the Sturgeon river crossing north of Paul lake (road through Capreol is usually in good shape). This way you can paddle to Solace in one day.

I guess I'm getting talkative sitting south of the border with no chance to put my paddle where mu tongue is. Have Fun!

PostPosted: July 10th, 2020, 8:17 pm 

Hey Eddy Turn,
Figured you might chime in. Planning an a 13 day trip, trying to keep from doubling back too many places. Would like to get the Solace area, Florence, Ames Creek, Talking Falls. Am not opposed to coming down the Sturgeon, or going up the Lady Evelyn.
By 'tough slogging' how tough do you mean? We went up the Trout streams to Florence last year and then down the SLER and did the long port. into Diamond. Then back through Obabika to Temagami Central. I think the kids are pretty good at portaging and putting on tough days if needed, though not every day...

thanks for any advice, sorry you are stuck south of the border,
rab

PostPosted: July 10th, 2020, 9:59 pm 

It might be better now than I remember, since FOT cleared and marked the area a year or two ago, but Twinkle to Pinetorch lake is mostly hike-a-boat and the trails are not easy, even if marked (It was also recommended for high water travel, but I can't comment on this - never had low water problem there).

From Pinetorch lake north and west to Lewbert and up to Skooztawgan portages are on the difficult side as well, but more enjoyable. Alternatively going from Pinetorch to Skooz via Ames creek is a tad easier. Some campsites in this area are very basic, just a small piece of rock here and there. Altogether area between the Yorston river, Twinkle and Skooz is one of the most wild, challenging and satisfying routes I know in Temagami, and if your kids are comfortable on Trout streams they should be fine here.

In 13 days you might do a ton! You might start from Gervais crossing (Paul lake) to Solace, Talking Falls, east through numbered lakes (see Hap Wilson) and then north either by Ames creek or Pinetorch creek to Florence, north by SLER and NLER to Kaa, Wabun highway south-west to Smoothwater and back to Gervais. For instance. I think it will leave 3+ days for lay-overs or adding a loop through Seagram and Twinkle.

PostPosted: July 12th, 2020, 6:09 pm 

Ok, think I've changed my mind and going to start at Gervais crossing, plus there are some campsites relatively close by on Paul Lake. It seems to allow for more options, more of a loop-route.
I think I'll head down to the Pilgrim Triangle, up Yorston to Talking Falls, up Ames Creek to Florence, up South LE, hike Ishpatina, down to Solace through Magpie and Bill, or over to Pilgrim, then back to Gervais through Selkirk Lake. Could also head up to Smoothwater if need something to do.

thanks for the input!
rab

PostPosted: July 12th, 2020, 7:22 pm 

I haven't been there myself, but from what I heard - up SLER from Florence is not a nice place to be, even in high water.

PostPosted: July 13th, 2020, 3:34 pm 

The SLER above Florence is famous for low water, but the three times I have been there water levels were fine.
I think it depends on the amount of rain the week before you go.

shearjoy Sometimes your joy is the source of your smile, but sometimes your smile can be the source of your joy. Thich Nhat Hanh

PostPosted: July 14th, 2020, 7:17 pm 

Shearjoy, nice to read your positive experience with the South Branch of Lady Evelyn! We plan to come in via Smoothwater and Apex Lakes in early September. We hope to add a 4th. “water levels were fine” to the tally!

BTW - there is no river in Solace Provincial Park - not in the name of the park and not even in the actual park! There is a 10-km. long Solace Creek which flows from Solace Lake to Muck Lake and Apollo Lake before merging with Pilgrim Creek. It is outside the boundary of the park.

An error on the first version of Jeff's map is the cause of the confusion. That is the version I have. Version 2.0 came out in 2014 and fixed the name.

PostPosted: July 25th, 2020, 10:24 am 

Thanks for the input. Back a day early from our trip. Great trip, saw next to no one, saw a new part of the park, cleared lots of trees from the portages and caught plenty of fish.
We didn't end up going up that section of the SLER, trip would have been too short. Ended up heading down Ames Creek and back around to Solace. Based on the huge amount of rain we had at Florence Lake we likely could have made it up the SLER without any issues.

may post of trip report later,
rab

PostPosted: July 25th, 2020, 11:26 am 

Great! Give us heads up when the report's coming.