View topic - Hwy 553/810 from Massey to Lac aux Sables

It is currently December 5th, 2020, 10:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: August 3rd, 2020, 3:15 pm 

Does anyone know what the gravel road conditions are like this summer from Massey up to Lac aux Sables? I haven't been up there for a while and would appreciate hearing from someone who's driven the road recently.

PostPosted: August 4th, 2020, 7:19 am 

Someone might have more recent information. I was in two years ago past Ritchie Falls all the way to Lac Aux Sables. Compared to about 10 years ago the road was much, much better. I was told (and could see) that there was significant active logging in the region past the dam, which meant that the road was very well maintained by the logging companies. This was supposed to continue for several years at least. I've been up there four times over the past 10 years and the road to the dam has always been in excellent condition in any case. Likely worst case scenario is to park at the dam (and pay the parking fee to the lodge operator), then access from that point.

PostPosted: August 4th, 2020, 10:19 am 

Thanks for replying, Brad.
I'll give it a shot, and post back here when I get back.

PostPosted: August 11th, 2020, 10:39 am 

I went up to Lac Aux Sable for the August long weekend and had no issues with the roads. That last section is a bit rough, but far from the worst road I've taken. Was able to get my dodge caravan up there with no issues. Just be careful on the switch backs and tight turns and you'll be good!

PostPosted: September 18th, 2020, 8:23 am 

I just remembered today that I'd promised to update this thread after our trip there in early August.
The gravel road is in good shape all the way in to Lac aux Sables including the 7 kilometres after Ritchie's Camp. There is active logging adjacent to and beyond Lac aux Sables, so the road is well maintained and is navigable by sedan.

PostPosted: September 18th, 2020, 1:05 pm 

Hi,
We completed the route yesterday. As others have noted, the road is in decent shape to the Lac aux Sables launch. There is logging going on to the east and we could hear machinery at least as far as Big Trout Lake.

On the way back, we took the logging road that runs from Ritchie Lake to Webbwood on 17. It is in as good or better shape than 810, so that offers an alternate route.

Kinguq