View topic - Re: Black Fox Lake Algonquin

It is currently December 5th, 2020, 11:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: September 18th, 2020, 5:10 pm 

Hello,
Does anyone have any information about Black Fox lake? campsites, fishing, overall condition? Not a well traveled section for sure, even the park staff could not tell me really anything other than there is a campsite on it.

Much appreciated, Thanks!

~Andrew

Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit. ~ Edward Abbey

PostPosted: September 21st, 2020, 8:33 am 

Andrew, since nobody has responded yet... Blackfox is stocked regularly, a look at the stocking list from the APP website shows three stockings of a thousand or two brook trout in the last five years. The 2016 individuals might have grown to a decent size if they were able to survive that long.

I went there about twenty years ago so my info is old and I did not fish although there have been reports of the lake providing a good catch... scenic small one-km lake with a rolling hills and a nice east facing campsite.

The trail in has recently been partially bulldozed (2011) to allow dogsledding businesses to operate and logging has been going on in the area besides, so IMO it's no longer as attractive as it used to be. There have also been reports of individuals driving in to fish since there is a network of roads in that area. But the lake itself is scenic and a look at the AFA logging operations map shows that that will not be going on this year.

IIRC much of the surrounding vegetation is coniferous with a lot of hemlock so maybe not the most colorful spot fishing about the Sept 30 closing when sugar maple fall color starts up and brook trout may be in nearshore shallows... let us know how it works out, good luck.

PostPosted: September 23rd, 2020, 11:31 am 

Thank you for the info frozentripper. I will let you know how it is in 2020.

Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit. ~ Edward Abbey

PostPosted: October 7th, 2020, 10:33 am 

Also, the old bridge on the portage is long gone and you'll have to canoe across the narrow creek.
The forest near Black Fox Lake is mostly deciduous.
Take the right trail at the fork before the swampy area, left one is the dog sled trail for winter runs, too boggy to walk otherwise.

When a new source of taxation is found it never means, in practice, that the old source is abandoned. It merely means that the politicians have two ways of milking the taxpayer where they had one before.
H. L. Mencken