View topic - Widgawa Lodge

It is currently March 19th, 2024, 6:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Widgawa Lodge
PostPosted: May 29th, 2003, 4:25 pm 

I got a letter today from Killarney Park informing me that the West Corridor Access point has been moved from Charlton Lake Camp to Widgawa Lodge. Does anyone know where Widgawa Lodge is (besides 10 km south of Espanola) and which coordinate on the park map this would bring us to. Thanks

Jean-Paul Satyr

Post subject: Re: Widgawa Lodge
PostPosted: April 26th, 2010, 4:02 pm 

hello Mr. Canoe(head),

I was wondering the same thing.

I just got off the phone with the owner of Widgawa Lodge. they are at the end of Widgawa Road - he described where they are, and from that I derived this location data:

N46.14685 W81.73869 - NAD83.

we are reserved at Nellie Lake for May 22 & 23, going home on the 24th - short and sweet.

PostPosted: April 26th, 2010, 6:11 pm 

They are easy to find and reach. Put in on the dock, short paddle down a creek into Cranberry Bay. They are about 1.5 km from Charlton Lake Camp. Very friendly.

PostPosted: April 26th, 2010, 6:14 pm 
CCR Assistant Administrator

http://www.widgawa.ca/

It's for sale....anyone interested in getting into the biz?
http://www.sellingthenorth.com/listings/l0061.html

PostPosted: April 26th, 2010, 7:21 pm 

cheryl wrote:
They are easy to find and reach. Put in on the dock, short paddle down a creek into Cranberry Bay. They are about 1.5 km from Charlton Lake Camp. Very friendly.

Agreed, VERY friendly

PostPosted: August 3rd, 2015, 3:16 pm 

I just finished a trip to Nellie Lake and accessed Killarney Park at Widgawa Lodge. Parking fees were $10/day plus $10 to launch the canoe and $10 to land the canoe. Are these fees new this year? (Jeff's Map states that parking is included in the parking permit).

PostPosted: August 4th, 2015, 3:48 am 

Last year my brother and I started a day trip from here into Nellie Lake. We arrived at the dock at about 6am so there was no one around. I didn't see anything about parking fees in the parking lot or anything so I figured it was free as long as you have a park pass (I always buy the season day use pass). As soon as we arrived back at the parking lot at around 4-5pm the owner promptly came over and was quite rude to us about how we need to pay for parking. I explained that I had no trouble paying the $10 but I was completely unaware and I apologised for leaving my car there all day but he still didn't seem to impressed with us.

PostPosted: August 4th, 2015, 10:55 am 

It's just up a creek from Charlton Lake. Very nice owners. It's marked on Jeff's Killrney Map.

thehappyadventure.com

Friends of Temagami:
friendsoftemagami.org

PostPosted: August 28th, 2015, 1:01 pm 

I was shocked when they charged me the additional fees the first time. I think it ended up costing me more to depart than the trip itself (3 nights meant 4 days of parking at $10 per day, plus $10 launch and $10 landing fees - so an extra $60). I've tried to skip them when planning my trip for this reason.

PostPosted: August 28th, 2015, 2:35 pm 

They also have 50% non-refundable deposit for lodging policy.

PostPosted: September 3rd, 2015, 10:08 am 

They started last August or so.

I've been told Ontario Parks is on side, but I really think they/Ontario Parks have gone about things the wrong way. That's the official Highway 6 access point. Widgawa bid and won the contract to operate that access point and part of that contract ought to include providing parking, launching, etc. Heck as it stands theres an official Ontario Parks sign on the highway declaring Widgawa to be an official park access point.

It'd be different if any operator in the area was allowed to sell permits and Widgawa happened to also allow users to park/launch from there for a fee (like in Temagami and the French River,) but that's not the case. While I appreciate that Widgawa is having a tough time financially, I think that negative experiences like the one brunettejamie, Token60 & Gorp had do no one any good. Their expectations were set by Ontario Parks when they purchased their permits/day passes and then changed when you got there. At the _very least_ brunettejamie and Gorp ought to have been warned about the additional fees in advance.

PostPosted: September 5th, 2015, 11:54 pm 

The couple at Widgawa Lodge are sweet and interesting and I hope they have long and prosperous lives full of joy and serenity. They sure seem to deserve it. They bought the place 4 years ago or so and are trying to make a living wage out of what they bought.

According to the couple, the charges are needed to cover the $10M (maybe $5M?) liability insurance that the MTO requires they carry.

That being said, they charge $10/day parking plus $20 "launch fee". In the whole scheme of things, the extra money for an amazing trip is not a big deal but this seems too high to me given the effort involved on their part in providing the service - a parking spot in dirt lot and the opportunity to launch from a somewhat rickety dock.

The next time I enter the park here (while I have no set schedule, I seem to go here every 4-5 years), I will look into parking in the parking lot at the narrows south of Widgawa Lodge.

-?-

PostPosted: March 17th, 2020, 4:58 pm 

Hi,

Not sure if the best thing to do is continue this thread or start a new one -- so I will continue and see if I get a response!

Last fall I stayed a night at Widgawa Lodge. Before launching on our canoe trip, I asked them where to park, and they told me I had no choice but to pay $15 per day. I mentioned that I had not paid a fee in the past, and they reiterated that there was no other option. So I paid.

When we completed our trip, we met folks who had parked just outside of their gates for free. So I was upset.

I called Parks Ontario and spoke to the park supervisor, who wouldn't or couldn't confirm that the parking fee is included in my permit nor that free parking was available at that access point.

So I looked up the area on the Crown Use Policy Atlas - and sure enough there is crown land that intersects the road.

Does anyone have any info about parking there?

Let me know,

MT

PostPosted: March 18th, 2020, 12:56 pm 

Just checked the Ontario Parks website and it indicates that parking is included in your reservation. Are they charging for parking even if you have a permit? Does not seem right.

"One vehicle is included with your campsite permit. Additional vehicle permits must be purchased for all other vehicles."

Here is the link: https://www.ontarioparks.com/reservations/rules

PostPosted: March 19th, 2020, 9:41 am 

The Lodge is private, is it not? The parking must be off their property for being included in the pass.