View topic - Should i carry bear spray

It is currently December 5th, 2020, 11:20 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: September 25th, 2020, 11:07 pm 

I will be camping at Tom Thomson lake for 2 days (weekdays) and should i carry bear spray ... Is it reauired?

PostPosted: September 26th, 2020, 8:12 am 

It isn't required, but it's probably a good idea. Bears coming onto camp ae pretty rare, but all it takes is one. In many years of remote camping I have only had one bear come into camp. He left quickly, after we made some nasty noises.
Buy a can and carry it with you. TSC has it. So does Home Hardware . Canadian Tire probably as well, and Algonquin Outfitters, I presume. Be aware that there is a "best before " date.
Mine was tears out of date when I finally checked, so I took it out of camp and released it to see what it was like. My excuse for what happened is that the breeze that was present was so slight I didn't notice it. It took a few minutes, but the cloud drifted directly back to camp, and caused a good deal of ill will.

PostPosted: September 26th, 2020, 8:30 am 

Bear bangers are an alternative

Old canoeists never die---they just smell that way.

PostPosted: September 26th, 2020, 9:50 am 
CCR Assistant Administrator

Tom Thomson has had some publicized bear problems this summer. The park sent in staff to manage at least one problem bear. Not sure what the result was. From the stories I have heard I would not camp on TT at the moment. You should take some form of deterrent and keep a very clean site.

PostPosted: September 26th, 2020, 1:09 pm 

Not only keep your site clean for others who follow but never camp on a dirty site.
You may have good intentions of cleaning it for others but bears are creatures of habit. If they have found food there before they will return.

Some form of deterrent is a good idea. Be very aware that spray can go where you don't want it like smoke from a campfire.

PostPosted: September 26th, 2020, 6:01 pm 

Carry bear spray and keep it on you, attached in a holster to your belt. In the very rare instance that you need it, it won’t be any good to you in your pack, or back in your tent somewhere.

If you do buy bear bangers, don’t carry them in your pocket while loaded (banger assembled to launcher). If it goes off accidentally it will do some damage for sure. I do, however, assemble the unit before going to sleep at night. I had to use one a few weeks ago in Temagami after waking up to some snorting and grunting outside my tent. I was glad the unit was ready to go. The culprit was either a bear or moose. I never did find out which, but after I made some noise it went crashing off through the bush and never returned.

www.mikemonaghan.ca

PostPosted: September 28th, 2020, 5:49 am 

Thank you and I am first time solo traveller so I am looking for a bit safer trip, what is the best alternative to Tom Thomson which is near by ?

MartinG wrote:
Tom Thomson has had some publicized bear problems this summer. The park sent in staff to manage at least one problem bear. Not sure what the result was. From the stories I have heard I would not camp on TT at the moment. You should take some form of deterrent and keep a very clean site.

PostPosted: September 28th, 2020, 7:36 am 
CCR Assistant Administrator

Sorry I do not have a suggestion. If recommend contacting the park directly (705) 633-5572

PostPosted: September 28th, 2020, 8:32 am 

In case you have'nt seen or used Bear spray here is a good video from Parks Canada.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIvpLzHiCrg

PostPosted: September 28th, 2020, 9:58 am 

laracroft007 wrote:
Thank you and I am first time solo traveller so I am looking for a bit safer trip, what is the best alternative to Tom Thomson which is near by ?

I did the scorch lake loop two weeks ago. It's a less traveled area (I only saw one other pair of paddlers) and the sites I stayed on were clean. I saw no bear sign - not even scat.

However the sites on the first lake "Kingscote" are acessible to day travellers and tend to be more over used/abused. But your are only one portage (albeit long and muddy) away from them.