View topic - albany to attawapiskat river

It is currently December 5th, 2020, 11:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: September 28th, 2020, 12:04 pm 

Hi all,
I'm dreaming and scheming of a trip and am wondering if there's a way to connect the Albany and Attawapiskat rivers near Ogoki on the Albany? My initial thought is to paddle from Allanwater bridge, work my way to the Albany via the Witchwood/Atwood, and then make my way to the Attawapiskat. Was hoping to get some downstream miles on the Albany prior to cutting across to the Attawapiskat, so I'm trying to suss out all the options for viable connections between the Albany and Attawapiskat. Any help would be appreciated.

PostPosted: October 16th, 2020, 1:36 pm 

Hi: in 2004 I went down the Otoskwin river to Ozhiski Lake and located an old portage over on to Wintawanan Lake, which is the head waters of the Martin Drinking river . This river forms about half the route from Fort Hope on the Albany up to Lansdowne House on the Attawapiskat. We followed it out to the Attawapisk at Landsdowne House. We saw a couple of natives that were butchering two moose along the river and I asked them if the route was in good condition down to Fort Hope. they told me if they want to get to the Albany they fly. I would suggest that the route is only kept open by crazys such as you or I. We cut out any portages we found going down the Martin Drinking river so we know they are doable. As for the run from where we got on down to Fort Hope, they may be in better shape as it is mostly made up of lakes which might offer the natives some hunting advantages

PostPosted: October 16th, 2020, 2:31 pm 

While I have paddled the Otoskwin/Attawapiskat and the full Albany I have not tried to join the two. That said, on both trips I met camp groups who were doing exactly that. As I recall they both used a route that passed through/by Fort Hope / Ebamet Lake. I don't know the specific reason for that choice other than both groups were doing a resupply at Fort Hope.

One thing I do know, neither of these groups were taking the "easy" route!

PostPosted: October 18th, 2020, 4:34 pm 

Thanks for the replies. I've paddled the Albany to the Bay and the Attawapiskat to the Bay, and now I'd like to link them. I'm trying to identify the farthest point downstream on the Albany I could cut up to the Attawapiskat. I think Camp Keewaydin somewhat regularly links the two near Fort Hope...I was hoping there'd be a possibility further downstream on the Albany. Anyway, I'm looking two summers out so I've got plenty of time. Recped, you've soloed these routes?

PostPosted: October 18th, 2020, 6:51 pm 

Yes, I did the Otoskwin/Attawapiskat from the bridge in 2016. In 2017 I did the Albany but to increase the distance I started from Harris Lake south of Savant Lake and spent 10 days making my way north to Osnaburgh Lake. Both trips were solo, 30 days for the Otoskwin, 46 days for the Albany. water levels were fairy low on both trips, Albany the lowest which made that last long stretch much more of a chore than I hoped for.

Besides Camp Keewaydin, Camp Wabun do a lot of long trips in the area.

I had a look at my Canoe Atlas of the Little North, there is nothing at all showing past Fort Hope in terms of a connection.

FYI - the logistics of finishing in Attawapiskat have changed a bit, Air Creebec are no longer flying their Hawker cargo plane there on a regular basis (last confirmed Sept 2019), they are still serving Fort Albany as far as I know.

PostPosted: October 18th, 2020, 9:42 pm 

Those sound like great trips. My Attawipiskat/Albany trips were quite some time ago, but I've got the bug again. I need to pick up another copy of Canoe Atlas of the Little North. I donated mine to Camp Menogyn (canoe camp in northern mn) a few years back. The price tag has me balking though. What canoe did you use?