View topic - Tragedy: Death on Opeongo

Canadian Canoe Routes
https://myccr.com/phpbbforum/

Tragedy: Death on Opeongo
https://myccr.com/phpbbforum/viewtopic.php?f=107&t=48330
Page 1 of 1

Author:  open_side_up [ October 12th, 2020, 6:46 pm ]
Post subject:  Tragedy: Death on Opeongo

Canoe with 3 men capsized on Lake Opeongo on Saturday. Details are sketchy, but the paddlers got into trouble setting out into heavy seas late in the afternoon as part of a larger party heading out on an overnighter. Two successfully rescued, the third pulled unconscious from the water and rescuscitation efforts were unsuccessful. PFD's reportedly worn.

Condolances to the family.

Waiting on more details.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/t ... li=AAggNb9

Author:  jbrave [ October 13th, 2020, 7:51 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Tragedy: Death on Opeongo

That is an absolute tragedy. Such a popular, high-traffic lake. I can't imagine how the 2 who survived are feeling right now. I hope that we will get another more in-depth update so that the story can be used as a warning to those in the future. I take a lot of people camping who otherwise never would and recently I was having a discussion with someone about the risks involved if they are not a strong swimmer even if they have a life jacket on. God rest his soul and watch over those who were involved.

Author:  rab [ October 13th, 2020, 7:59 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Tragedy: Death on Opeongo

It was very windy on Grand and Stratton Lakes on Saturday. If it was that windy on Opeongo, the waves would have been large.

rab

Author:  eberlym [ October 13th, 2020, 9:06 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Tragedy: Death on Opeongo

https://ottawa.ctvnews.ca/toronto-man-d ... -1.5142149

Author:  Prospector16 [ October 14th, 2020, 6:42 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Tragedy: Death on Opeongo

The rescuer has posted his account of the situation - quite a lot of detail

http://www.kpwoutdoors.com/blog/opeongo ... -10th-2020

Author:  jbrave [ October 14th, 2020, 7:41 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Tragedy: Death on Opeongo

What a hero, thanks for sharing Prospector16.

Author:  canoetripper [ October 14th, 2020, 8:22 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Tragedy: Death on Opeongo

i suspect the family of the drowned man may well sue the outfitter for renting the canoes to unprepared canoers in bad wind conditions. If they win this will only raise rental fees for the rest of us. But save some lives as we all see people on canoe trips who shouldn't be there.

Author:  wotrock [ October 14th, 2020, 8:31 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Tragedy: Death on Opeongo

Seeing 3 adults in a canoe always catches my attention----and not in a good way.

Author:  ameaney [ October 14th, 2020, 9:54 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Tragedy: Death on Opeongo

Prospector16 wrote:
The rescuer has posted his account of the situation - quite a lot of detail

http://www.kpwoutdoors.com/blog/opeongo ... -10th-2020


This is a fantastic write up. Thanks for sharing.

Author:  open_side_up [ October 14th, 2020, 10:00 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Tragedy: Death on Opeongo

A cool head and an epic effort. Unfortunately a bittersweet outcome.

Author:  tanaphar [ October 14th, 2020, 11:04 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Tragedy: Death on Opeongo

We were there just a couple days before.
Very cold in the rain, dangerous if wet and not dressed right.

Let alone submerged.

"6. Outfitters should screen or have a mandatory orientation in cold water conditions in the fall/spring for all canoe renters and possibly should deny rentals based on ability levels."

I'm for rental denial based on some screen. Mandatory orientation is not an option I think.
I think rental denial based on screen is a very good idea (fall/spring).

The canoe takes you everywhere. Always been what's so special about it.
Also what's so deadly.

Author:  MikeD [ October 14th, 2020, 1:58 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Tragedy: Death on Opeongo

canoetripper wrote:
i suspect the family of the drowned man may well sue the outfitter for renting the canoes to unprepared canoers in bad wind conditions. If they win this will only raise rental fees for the rest of us. But save some lives as we all see people on canoe trips who shouldn't be there.


Unlikely as the participants would have voluntarilly assumed the risk. I suspect that all the Outfitters use a clause similar to this in their rental agreements;
"I further agree to save and hold harmless <insert_outfitter name> Company, its agents and operators from any claim by me or my family, estate, heirs, or assigns arising out of my rental equipment from <outfitter_name>."

Author:  MikeD [ October 15th, 2020, 9:01 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Tragedy: Death on Opeongo

ameaney wrote:
Prospector16 wrote:
The rescuer has posted his account of the situation - quite a lot of detail

http://www.kpwoutdoors.com/blog/opeongo ... -10th-2020


This is a fantastic write up. Thanks for sharing.



Hopefully someone who knows these people will nominate them for a Bravery Decoration;
https://www.gg.ca/en/honours/canadian-h ... ns-bravery.

They very clearly meet the eligibility criteria. :clap: :clap:

Author:  tanaphar [ October 16th, 2020, 4:39 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Tragedy: Death on Opeongo

MikeD wrote:
ameaney wrote:
Prospector16 wrote:
The rescuer has posted his account of the situation - quite a lot of detail

http://www.kpwoutdoors.com/blog/opeongo ... -10th-2020


This is a fantastic write up. Thanks for sharing.



Hopefully someone who knows these people will nominate them for a Bravery Decoration;
https://www.gg.ca/en/honours/canadian-h ... ns-bravery.

They very clearly meet the eligibility criteria. :clap: :clap:



Yes amazing response. Lucky for them being there. When I was younger I did some things on Opeongo that gives me shivers now. The interesting thing is I was scared while doing them. But I still did them. Solo. Spring.
I guess that means crazy over ignorant.

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC - 5 hours
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
https://www.phpbb.com/