View topic - Vermillion River

It is currently November 27th, 2020, 3:28 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Vermillion River
PostPosted: October 22nd, 2020, 9:47 am 

Haas anyone ever paddled the Vermillion River in Sudbury area?

Post subject: Re: Vermillion River
PostPosted: October 23rd, 2020, 5:16 pm 

Never paddled it. I do have some detailed info but it's all really old (probably from the 1970's or earlier).

PostPosted: October 23rd, 2020, 5:23 pm 

recped wrote:
Never paddled it. I do have some detailed info but it's all really old (probably from the 1970's or earlier).

Old information might be a good start.

PostPosted: October 28th, 2020, 7:48 pm 

I've paddled sections of the river over the years.
Once, quite a few years ago from LaForest down to Milnet. It was spring but very low water for that time of year. As I recall there was at least one log jam we had to get over and a difficult canyon section. We were able to run some of the canyon section and had some tough bushwhacking around some rapids. The alternative is to do a 3km carry around the canyon on the railway tracks. I would not want to be in the canyon in high water.
The section below Milnet to Capreol is a regular spring with a number of easy rapids and one class 2-3 depending one water levels.
I have never done the section between Capreol and the Stobie dam. It is a flat section full of meanders and oxbows.
The section from Stobie dam to the hwy has a few good class 3-4 rapids with flat sections in between. Again we usually did that section as a day trip.

PostPosted: October 28th, 2020, 7:54 pm 

Shintangle wrote:
I've paddled sections of the river over the years.
Once, quite a few years ago from LaForest down to Milnet. It was spring but very low water for that time of year. As I recall there was at least one log jam we had to get over and a difficult canyon section. We were able to run some of the canyon section and had some tough bushwhacking around some rapids. The alternative is to do a 3km carry around the canyon on the railway tracks. I would not want to be in the canyon in high water.
The section below Milnet to Capreol is a regular spring with a number of easy rapids and one class 2-3 depending one water levels.
I have never done the section between Capreol and the Stobie dam. It is a flat section full of meanders and oxbows.
The section from Stobie dam to the hwy has a few good class 3-4 rapids with flat sections in between. Again we usually did that section as a day trip.

Of the section you have done, how well wee the portages marked?

PostPosted: November 2nd, 2020, 8:39 pm 

It has been quite a few years since I did the LaForest section but I don't recall any official marked portages. We mainly bushwhacked around any rapids we could not run. The section between Milnet and Capreol has only one rapid that would need to be portaged and can be easily carried along the rail tracks.
There are a couple of short falls near Larchwood that would be easy to carry although you need to cross the highway.
McFadden Falls and Cascade Falls can be portaged over the rocks along the side.
The river below Capreol is probably not worth doing as a canoe trip as it is not exactly wilderness. Access above Capreol is by rail. I think the train will stop anywhere along the line if prearranged. My experience dealing with via rail through the 800 number has never been very good. I've gotten better info by dealing and booking with the station in Capreol directly.

PostPosted: November 3rd, 2020, 10:11 am 

Shintangle wrote:
It has been quite a few years since I did the LaForest section but I don't recall any official marked portages. We mainly bushwhacked around any rapids we could not run. The section between Milnet and Capreol has only one rapid that would need to be portaged and can be easily carried along the rail tracks.
There are a couple of short falls near Larchwood that would be easy to carry although you need to cross the highway.
McFadden Falls and Cascade Falls can be portaged over the rocks along the side.
The river below Capreol is probably not worth doing as a canoe trip as it is not exactly wilderness. Access above Capreol is by rail. I think the train will stop anywhere along the line if prearranged. My experience dealing with via rail through the 800 number has never been very good. I've gotten better info by dealing and booking with the station in Capreol directly.

I'll actually be moving to along the route, so I am trying to find out more about my own backyard.

PostPosted: November 3rd, 2020, 8:33 pm 

Welcome to the neighbourhood! I live in Sudbury, the south end though.
I've paddled most of the routes in the area over the years so feel free to reach out with any questions.
Where are you moving from?

PostPosted: November 3rd, 2020, 11:04 pm 

Shintangle wrote:
Welcome to the neighbourhood! I live in Sudbury, the south end though.
I've paddled most of the routes in the area over the years so feel free to reach out with any questions.
Where are you moving from?

One part of Chemmy to another.

I'll be living on Vermillion Lake.