View topic - Getting rail service back to Northern Ontario

It is currently November 27th, 2020, 2:39 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: October 25th, 2020, 9:47 am 

For those wondering why getting involved to get rail service back to Northern Ontario is important.
Taking a train to the remote areas of our province is an amazing way to travel to and from some spectacular areas of our Province
It is a great way to get there in all four seasons and with the popular areas getting over used in some areas it is a great opportunity to show support to our northern communities.
For those of us who have done these trips there is no arguement on their value.
So take the online survey and get involved.
Link to the survey is in the first line of the story.
https://news.ontario.ca/en/release/5892 ... -northeast
Jeff

Choosing to save a river is more often an act of passion than of careful calculation. You make the choice because the river has touched your life in an intimate and irreversible way, because you are unwilling to accept its loss. — (David Bolling, Ho

PostPosted: October 30th, 2020, 12:20 pm 

As this post sinks into the depths of the forum, it continues to haunt me.

- Selfish me says yes, let's build the lines today so I can go play.
- Frugal me wants to know the cost/benefit of the lines, who is paying for them, what the tax implications are, and who will benefit the most.
- Eco-friendly me wants to know whether mining and forestry corps are lobbying for these, and whether this is part of the development of the Ring of Fire and other large scale resource extraction initiatives.
- Socially conscious me wants to know whether this survey is being used to set aside first nations concerns over land claims and indigenous rights.

I could answer this survey with my own knee-jerk immediate emotional and biased responses, but to say that I want rail lines so I can go canoeing wouldn't do me much good if the rail lines result in First Nations unrest and blockades, or in massive mines that destroy the wilderness I want to see. And if this expansion does result in either of those outcomes, I certainly don't want my tax dollars contributing to it.

PostPosted: October 30th, 2020, 1:17 pm 

From looking at it it seems to be pretty directly focused on bringing back some version of the old Northlander. I do not think any new rail lines are being contemplated just the possibility of passenger service on the line that already exist.

PostPosted: October 30th, 2020, 2:39 pm 
CCR Assistant Administrator

They're not building new lines. They are considering bringing back passenger service to existing lines.

PostPosted: November 8th, 2020, 7:54 pm 

Thanks man, I’d Love to use this again for trips.