View topic - Barron Canyon

It is currently May 10th, 2021, 12:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Barron Canyon
PostPosted: April 13th, 2021, 1:09 pm 

Hello.
I will be visiting the Achray campground this summer and will have my sea kayak on the car from another trip. Just wondering about the 2 access points for the Barron Canyon-
Do you think the portage at the Squirrel Rapids access point is easy enough for a portage cart?
Do you think the 2 portages at the Brigham Point Access Point are easy enough for a portage cart?
Thanks,
Melissa

Post subject: Re: Barron Canyon
PostPosted: April 13th, 2021, 2:39 pm 

I would suggest that none of those portages are easy enough for a portage cart.

By "portage at the Squirrel Rapids" I assume you mean the portage around Cache rapids.

I think your easiest access to the canyon would be via the Squirrel Rapids access point with an awkward carry around Cache Rapids.

PostPosted: April 13th, 2021, 4:13 pm 

As far as I know, canoe carts are not allowed in Algonquin. Jeff's Map for Algonquin comes with the attached warning. I just assumed that meant for portages, as well.

Whether it's allowed or not, I can't think of a single portage that I've been on in Algonquin where it would be more beneficial to have a cart vs. carrying.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: April 13th, 2021, 6:58 pm 

Canoe Daddy wrote:
As far as I know, canoe carts are not allowed in Algonquin. Jeff's Map for Algonquin comes with the attached warning. I just assumed that meant for portages, as well.

Whether it's allowed or not, I can't think of a single portage that I've been on in Algonquin where it would be more beneficial to have a cart vs. carrying.

NO That's why there are cart trails. But in general, most portages are too rough. Jeff's note pertains to logging ROADS.

PostPosted: April 14th, 2021, 10:47 am 

Did a day trip years ago to the Canyon from Squirrel access and portaged Cache Rapids. There was a group of kayakers who tried unsuccessfully to do the portage. There are a couple of significant up and down rock hops. But if you have a portage yoke you can do it. They had SOT's and no way of carrying easily

PostPosted: April 14th, 2021, 1:21 pm 

The two portages you would encounter from the Squirrel Rapids parking lot would be miserable with a Kayak. That being said you might consider a day rental of a canoe from https://www.algonquinportage.com

They will even deliver the Canoe to the Squirrel Rapids parking lot for you.

MikeD.