View topic - Cascades - Barron River Campsites in Algonquin Park

It is currently May 10th, 2021, 12:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: April 17th, 2021, 2:23 pm 

Hi-

I'm planning a 4 day trip through Barron Canyon in Algonquin, with two nights spent on Stratton and one night on one of the campsites listed as "Cascades - Barron River." I haven't been able to find any information or pictures of those two sites. Has anyone had any experience with them? We're going with a 9-year old and a 5-year old, so I was a bit worried about booking sites on the Barron River or Brigham Lake given the number of portages necessary to get there within a day. Am I better off staying at the Cascades sites, or changing the reservation to Barron/Brigham Lake for that last night? Thanks.

PostPosted: April 19th, 2021, 2:17 pm 

My .02c would be to pass on the Cascade route and instead go into Opalescent lake for the last night. IIRC part of the first portage out of High Falls Lake is nasty, almost vertical at the end. The campsites on Opalescent are great.

MikeD.

PostPosted: April 20th, 2021, 7:57 am 

Thanks MikeD, I'll check if there are any sites left on Opalescent. Do you know how the 640m portage into Opalescent and the 750m to Barron are? We generally have to do two trips on each portage, so we try to keep them short, but "almost vertical at the end" sounds pretty brutal!

PostPosted: April 20th, 2021, 8:21 am 

I can't honestly remember the ports into Opalescent, perhaps others can provide a description.

PostPosted: April 20th, 2021, 8:53 am 

No worries, thanks for the tip

PostPosted: April 21st, 2021, 8:33 am 

I haven't been in the area in over 10 years, but if memory serves the 730m portage from Brigham Lake to Opalescent Lake is moderately difficult, but not too extreme. I could be thinking about a different portage, but there is one challenging section in particular that is not quite "almost vertical" but close.

It is worth it, though... Opalescent Lake is my favourite in the area. Some wonderful sites IMHO.

PostPosted: April 21st, 2021, 8:40 am 

Thanks matted- appreciate your thoughts.