View topic - Trip Ideas mid-July 2021- Temagami again?

It is currently August 1st, 2021, 2:31 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: June 9th, 2021, 8:25 pm 

Ok, so I'm stumped.
Trying to plan a trip with my kids again this summer. It will be the 3 of us.
Would like it to be around 10 days in length, could be a bit longer if driving distance isn't too far.
Kids will be 15 and 13 this year. Pretty close to being able to paddle their own canoe-but my daughter prefers to sun-tan...
We/I like to go to new areas and not cover too much ground that we've seen before.
Our last 4 trips have taken us all over Temagami - Chiniguchi, Obabika, Diamond, Florence, North and South Branch of Lady Evelyn, Sturgeon River to Pilgrim Triangle, Ames Creek, Solace, Ishpatina Ridge.
I would be open to going back to Temagami again, just want to see a new area and be away from people, and not sure where that is?
Other options - Steele River Loop - not sure it's doable in Kevlar canoe with three people? I do have two royalex boats, but if it gets windy on the big lakes we'll be wind-bound for sure. Maybe we could take kevlar and one royalex boat. My plan had been to extend the trip and avoid the Diable Portage.
Lac-Aux Sable/Bark Lake - too short to spend ten days on?
I suppose a river option is possible, but ww needs to be not too difficult.
The Marshal Lake loop is an option, but drive is pretty far and not sure they'd appreciate the scenery...
Quebec is an option also. Just not sure where. LaVerendrye is an option, but fishing is expensive and last time we were serenaded with logging most days and nights.

thanks for any suggestions,
rab

PostPosted: June 10th, 2021, 8:24 am 

got $400 spare to pay for camping fees? That would be required in Temagami

https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/ontario-p ... -1.5358426

PostPosted: June 10th, 2021, 8:42 am 

rab wrote:
Other options - Steele River Loop - not sure it's doable in Kevlar canoe with three people?
Lac-Aux Sable/Bark Lake - too short to spend ten days on?
The Marshal Lake loop is an option, but drive is pretty far and not sure they'd appreciate the scenery...

Steele River Loop- I'm not sure what you mean by extending the trip and avoiding the Diablo Portage. I'd be interested in know. Apparently there's a series of three (?) portages now from the north end of Santoy that get you up to Diablo Lake too, maybe that's what you mean? I'm not sure about the challenges of negotiating rapids/swifts in a three-person boat, but the bigger rapids along the Steele all have portages.

Lac-Aux Sable/Bark Lake- Probably is too short of a distance for 10 days for most people unless you're planning very short travel days or you consider exploring the north end of Bark Lake and parts of the Mississagi River for a few days.

Marshal Lake Loop- Is probably only about 2 hours more travel time from Kanata than Steele River, so not super far when you're already likely to travel more than 10 hours anyway. The scenery is marshy in a lot of places, but there are certainly some real gems on that trip including the waterfall campsite, the esker/beach campsite, Summit Lake, etc. For the most part the campsites are scenic and quite nice. The marshy bits are mainly on parts of the river travel between Summit Lake and Stewart Lake.

PostPosted: June 10th, 2021, 3:54 pm 

You could try ZEC Kipawa, just into Quebec, NE from North Bay
Similar country to Temagami, maybe a bit less rocky, so not quite as scenic.
But a nice mix of lakres and rivers
They have info on line.

shearjoy Sometimes your joy is the source of your smile, but sometimes your smile can be the source of your joy. Thich Nhat Hanh

PostPosted: June 10th, 2021, 8:44 pm 

Thanks for the feedback folks.
Littlered - Yeah the camping fees are painful in Temagami now. Need to try to spend some nights outside the actual parks.
Shearjoy - thanks for the suggestion - I have briefly looked at that area in the past, but not recently. Imagine the fishing permit fees are insane for non-residents...
Brad - Steel river - Yes - the series of three portages - not sure where I read it and can't find it online, but yes, I think the first nations in the area opened up that route. I seem to recall reading that it would add a day or two to the trip?

Beginning to wonder about the Spanish River. With the low water that is likely this summer, that might be an option. Anyone know if the train is running this year?

rab

PostPosted: June 10th, 2021, 11:17 pm 

Hi rab! We did the Steel River last summer, and it's definitely doable (and worthwhile) if you have 10 days to play with. We left Toronto on a Friday, arrived and put in late on Saturday, finished the loop by the following Saturday, and drove home in one shot on Sunday. :)

Suggestions:

- You can absolutely avoid the Diablo Portage, and I recommend doing so; but the three portages that replace it are no picnic either, and the Cairngorm Portage from Diablo Lake is brutal as well. Here's a link to the coordinates for the three replacement ports, and the whole thread is a wealth of info from other paddlers:

https://www.myccr.com/phpbbforum/viewto ... 03#p435403

- The worst lake for wind is Santoy, but you can avoid it almost entirely by driving up the logging road and putting in at Eaglecrest instead. You'll do the Steel River first, finish at the top of Santoy, then loop back through the lakes afterwards. That's the route that we took, and it was six pretty intense days of paddling and portaging. Three days down the Steel, then three days back up through the lakes, with a much-needed rest day on the beaches of Santoy in between.

- I don't recommend a Kevlar canoe. We had a 17' Nova Craft Prospector in TuffStuff, and it took a pretty good beating; if we were in a Kevlar canoe, the ports would have been easier, but the canoe would have been destroyed. The long thin lakes west of the Steel River (Cairngorm & Steel Lake) tend to provide a friendly tailwind, and if you're skipping Santoy & the Diablo Portage, the odds of being windbound drop significantly.

- If we were to do it again, we would have added at least two more days; we finished it in the time we had available, but didn't have nearly enough time to relax and enjoy ourselves. We especially wished we had more time at Rainbow Falls; even one more day would have been an improvement, so 10 might be a bit tight if you or your kids want a more leisurely pace. That said, if 10 days is what you have available, you can't go wrong doing this route, it's really an amazing trip. :)

Feel free to ask if you have any other questions!
PG

PostPosted: June 11th, 2021, 7:02 am 

As mentioned you can extend the Bark Lake route further north, and to be honest northern Bark Lake and the lakes further north on the Mississagi are nicer than the ones further south. The latter have boulder shorelines which to me are less attractive than the more northern lakes. We spent 11 days on it last year.

Kinguq.

PostPosted: June 11th, 2021, 3:03 pm 

I want to do the Steel River, but don't think it will happen this year. Leaning more towards Bark Lake / Mississagi River area.
Kinguq - how far into Mississagi did you go? Did you just print topo maps or are there other maps available. I don't mind making my own, but prefer not to if not required...
Has anyone here paddled down the Missassagi from near Ramsey down to Aubrey Falls? That looks like a good trip. Just wondering how many rapids there are, or more specifically, how many I'd need to portage with a kevlar boat...

thanks,
rab

PostPosted: June 13th, 2021, 8:20 am 

rab wrote:
Kinguq - how far into Mississagi did you go? Did you just print topo maps or are there other maps available. I don't mind making my own, but prefer not to if not required...
Has anyone here paddled down the Missassagi from near Ramsey down to Aubrey Falls? That looks like a good trip. Just wondering how many rapids there are, or more specifically, how many I'd need to portage with a kevlar boat...
rab

We just went up to Upper Bark Lake. We had bigger plans but we are very slow and relaxed trippers.

I had all the maps, gifted by a friend.

Kinguq.