View topic - French River North Chanel this weekend

It is currently August 1st, 2021, 3:19 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: June 22nd, 2021, 1:20 pm 

With water levels being at historic lows, I am wondering if I should change my N. Chanel/Cedar Rapids loop. any thoughts?

PostPosted: June 22nd, 2021, 2:46 pm 

Dry Pine Bay is saying flow is at 42 m3/s. Last time I was up that way was September 2018 and it was measuring 38 m3/s.

I never really noticed any lack of water in the North Channel.

5 Mile rapids was down to a trickle in a few spots and I don't think there was even a puddle left in "the ladder."

I would not hesitate to visit again at those water levels.

PostPosted: June 23rd, 2021, 3:13 pm 

Never been on the French without out MW boat. Thinking we might try the loop in our new carbon kevlar. NOt interested in dragging the bottom out of it though. Any thoughts?

PostPosted: June 24th, 2021, 6:30 am 

I didn't do any scraping or dragging on my trip. Everything was easy to pull over and scout too before running, no surprises!

We were going up river on the North, so we portaged Oulette and Cedar. Outlette was easily runnable it was just a small drop and some waves. Cedar would have been a little over our skill set but again, very very easy to pull over at the portage and walk the very open shoreline and scout.

Downriver on the Main Channel little pine was a trickle and we just did a little lift over.

Big Pine was also very dry and we portaged down the shoreline.

Double rapids was runnable I felt, just a short chute with one rock I felt pretty easy to avoid. My partner didn't want to risk it. So we lifted over.

We portaged through The Ladder and spent a bunch of time hunting around for any relics as it was totally bone dry. Didn't find anything, I wanted to head up and run Blue Chute empty but my partner was ready to find a campsite so we continued on.

Scouted and ran Little Parisien (just a easy chute at this level, stay in the middle and enjoy the ride).

Ran Devil's Chute not even really a swift at this water level.

Camped on the Island opposite Hammerhead Bay / just before Crooked rapids (5 star site)

Ran Crooked Rapids in the morning, again no issue at all, really just some swirling water going through some large rocks. We got our only real surprise of the trip here as a skinny dipper was about to take his morning plunge exactly as we exited the rapids. Instead of jumping in the poor guy decided to run along the rocky shore line for 100' back to his towel the whole time his Wife laughing her head off and the two of us in the canoe going "Sorry! Sorry!"

Anyways, hope that helps.

PostPosted: June 24th, 2021, 11:04 am 

Very helpful, thanks!