View topic - Park Theft

It is currently June 30th, 2022, 5:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Park Theft
PostPosted: May 8th, 2022, 6:03 am 

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/london/o ... -1.6441048

Hate to say it, but in todays world this kind of stuff could be on the rise. There's a whole new generation of people getting out and to the very few, there's no camping decree. I've based camped before and have gone out for day hikes and wondered about the safety of what was back at camp.

Only way I know to somewhat deter it is to put all your gear in your tent and zip it up. That way people don't know if you're gone or in your tent.

Post subject: Re: Park Theft
PostPosted: May 8th, 2022, 7:55 am 

The first time we ever car camped in an ontario park, I instinctively thought that we should secure all our stuff some how. So I bought some lengths of chain and some padlocks and looped lock and chain through all the lawn chairs, camp stove, tents, etc. Whenever we went out for a hike or a swim i'd carefully lock everything in the car first. I was really anxious about it all, and my wife mocked me a bit, saying it was unecessary. Over the years I began to see she was right, and I slowly started scaling back my security efforts. Last time we went car camping, I did basically nothing. No chains, no locks, no careful stowage of things in the car. Heck, I left an open bottle of whisky in view on the picnic table all week! I had got to the point where I thought younger me was pretty silly. But reading this story, maybe not so much!

PostPosted: May 8th, 2022, 10:37 am 

"I left an open bottle of whisky in view on the picnic table all week"
That's baiting...probably not the best protocol for handling alcohol or camp theft.

Depending on the time of day or location, we will leave a note to our "never arriving" friends that we just stepped out for a short walk, hike, whatever... and that we'll be back shortly so they should just go ahead and start setting up their stuff.

So now there's two groups that are on their way back to this camp.
No thief is sticking around there.
At least that's my hope.

PostPosted: May 8th, 2022, 3:23 pm 

It's a nice idea, though it does assume thieves who are both literate and logical. I myself have a black sheep brother who has been in and out of jail for decades. His very first crime as a late teenager was a B&E - he broke into the home of a vacationing family and stole some minor items, including a bunch of their son's clothing.
Shortly after the family got home and discovered the theft, they were out driving around and saw my brother and went and confronted him. He denied it of course. They insisted "you stole our son's clothing" they said. My brother steadfastly denied it. He claimed up and down he'd never seen any of their son's clothing.
The only problem?

One of the stolen items was their son's hockey jersey.
With his name on it.

Which my brother was actually still wearing even as he stood there denying it!

He went to jail.

Moral of the story - you can never go wrong under estimating the intelligence of petty thieves.

A Beware of Dog sign might be more effective.

PostPosted: May 9th, 2022, 9:29 am 

Sad to hear that. We live in London and Pinery is an hour's drive. Never had a problem in more than thirty year's of camping at that park. Likely more than a dozen times a year that we visit. You wonder if somebody already in the park did the dirty deed or was there a late night visitor driving in during the dark of night?

With 65 years of camping under my belt there have only been two instances of theft. A pair of binoculars in a New Hampshire park and a camera off the beach at Long Point. Take basic precautions and trust in the vast majority of people. Seems to work fine all these years. Worry gives you gray hair. I'm out there to relax and enjoy.

I'll bet she is back camping as soon as the equipment is replaced.

PostPosted: May 9th, 2022, 2:00 pm 

We (my family) had out beloved Peterborough w/c canoe was stolen at Pinery PP in 1965. While that was the only theft at a PP we experienced it was not that unusual given that Grand Bend is just down the road and filled with disreputable characters.

PostPosted: May 10th, 2022, 8:15 am 

A few years ago while swimming at beach # 3 pinery we had our van locks punched and wallet, ipad and purchased stuff stolen in broad daytime. Every thing was hidden from site. We inadvertently saw the thief and didn't think any thing of it. Two persons dressed in army fatigues scoping the parking lots looked to be out enjoying their time off at the beach, later realized they were out for more than a nice day out. By the time we realized that we had been robbed they were long gone, and we were left with the hassle of canceling and replacing cards and ID.

PostPosted: May 10th, 2022, 8:36 pm 

Sorry, I started another thread in Off Topic Forum.
Didn't think it was going to be in a paddling forum!

When a new source of taxation is found it never means, in practice, that the old source is abandoned. It merely means that the politicians have two ways of milking the taxpayer where they had one before.
Mencken
You can never have too much education-me

PostPosted: May 10th, 2022, 8:50 pm 

We have not had things stolen but there seems to be lots of clueless campers out there now. I suspect that was brought on by the surge of bookings during the pandemic when there were few other places to go.

While camping in Killbear last year I had a partial can of fire starter for starting the BBQ sitting out in plain sight. A fellow from a few sites down asked if he could have some. In retrospect I think it was because he did not know hoe to start a campfire. When I lifted the can the next day is was practically empty!! There is a camp store just out the rd where I am sure he could have replaced my fuel.

Old canoeists never die---they just smell that way.

PostPosted: May 11th, 2022, 8:13 am 

Otter Mel wrote:
Sorry, I started another thread in Off Topic Forum.
Didn't think it was going to be in a paddling forum!

I didn't even realise what forum it was in. When I get to the forum, I just click the "active topics" link on the upper left hand side, and then I get a nice listing of all currently active topics regardless of what sub forum they're in. It's a nice way to not miss anything.