View topic - Portages between Island Lake and Pickerel River

It is currently June 29th, 2022, 11:32 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: May 10th, 2022, 3:04 pm 

Has anyone done the portages north out of Island Lake, which link back to the Pickerel River?

We are hoping to complete the loop starting at Fleming's Landing, into Smoky - Noganosh - Last - John - Kelsie - Island- Rat - Otter - Clear - Bass - Arthur.

We have the backcountry map on Avenza, and last year made it into Kelsie from the John Lake side. Those portages north out of Island are an unknown. Any info would be helpful.

PostPosted: May 10th, 2022, 5:18 pm 

I believe northern scavengers has a video "Port Loring" loop on YouTube, explore the back country too

PostPosted: May 11th, 2022, 5:49 am 

Island - Rat - Otter - Long - Duck (to boat launch) is the way I've gone before. I don't have the gps tracks, but the trails are where you'd expect to find them.

Edit: Looking at some of my files, I must recommend Jonathon Kelly's map of the area.

PostPosted: May 12th, 2022, 7:04 pm 

Darl-h wrote:
Island - Rat - Otter - Long - Duck

Unless you particularly like portaging or have a reason to go to Arthur, using the path between Long-Duck then paddling back through Duck, Wauquimakog, Toad, Pickerel is probably a bit easier, but also would probably take a bit more time. And it exposes you to probably a bit more cottage boat traffic near Port Loring.

The portages in the area are summarized on Jonathan Kelly's Map here: https://www.myccr.com/phpbbforum/viewto ... 07&t=46430

But it doesn't sound like fun on those northern portages out of Island, particularly the Otter to Long portage...

PostPosted: May 13th, 2022, 7:09 pm 

I've only been able to find one report on that long portage from Otter to Long. Northern Scavenger did it a while back, and made it sound reasonable.

PostPosted: May 20th, 2022, 5:14 pm 

Although it has been 5 years or so, I did the Otter to Island Lake portage and it was is easy to follow. I spoke with the American owned fishing camp located no too far from the Island Lake side of the port and they told me that they cut the trail many years ago and still use it most seasons.

Unlike many canoe portage trails that start well defined and then fade to obscurity, this trail took a few minutes to find from Otter Lake, but once located it was it fine shape.

PostPosted: May 21st, 2022, 10:37 pm 

I've been able to find pretty good info on all the portages but the last one (or first, depending on the direction we go).
The portage from the Pickerel to Arther ..Jonathan Kelly's map shows 2 options. The shorter, 1215 looks to be the way to go. We might be tired of carrying by the time we get to Long Lake and take the easier route. Should be fun either way.