All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: Widgawa Lodge
PostPosted: March 19th, 2020, 12:46 pm 

They have a very active facebook page
https://www.facebook.com/Widgawa-Lodge- ... 936118986/
Web site
http://www.widgawalodge.ca/?fbclid=IwAR ... XTRJDOxX3c
Jeff

Choosing to save a river is more often an act of passion than of careful calculation. You make the choice because the river has touched your life in an intimate and irreversible way, because you are unwilling to accept its loss. — (David Bolling, Ho

PostPosted: March 19th, 2020, 1:11 pm 

cheryl wrote:
The Lodge is private, is it not? The parking must be off their property for being included in the pass.

Then where does one park "for free" if they have a backcountry permit starting at their official access point?

PostPosted: March 19th, 2020, 2:16 pm 

And that is the question. Their site says $5/care parking and $10 launch fee, and that it is the west gate to Killarney. What needs clarifications is, that even though they sell permits, are they the ONLY place to park and gain access to the Westside. This would be determined by Ont. parks would it not, and therefore they are the best ones to answer the question of why the multiple fees when you have a permit? The (useless and not user-friendly) new reservation system says that the access is off of Hwy 6. I tried the online chat and was told to call the park ranger directly on 705-287-2900, however, all parks are closed! I will be interested to find out the answer.

PostPosted: March 19th, 2020, 4:12 pm 

Parks are closed but they are still working in their offices.
I talked to one today at a different park.
Jeff

Choosing to save a river is more often an act of passion than of careful calculation. You make the choice because the river has touched your life in an intimate and irreversible way, because you are unwilling to accept its loss. — (David Bolling, Ho

PostPosted: September 7th, 2020, 9:10 pm 

Hey -- looks like this thread was updated since I last checked. FYI I called every single level of Park employee (including the minister's office) to try to get a straight answer, and no one would give me one. The folks I met in the park parked their car just before the gates into Widgawa - which according to maps is crown land, and thus a legal parking space.

I'm glad I've been through that loop twice, as I don't see going back that way again anytime soon.

PostPosted: October 15th, 2020, 12:54 pm 

UPDATE - I did a trip summer of 2020 that started/ended at Widgawa Lodge. They did charge for parking BUT I did receive a refund from Ontario Parks which I assumed was the parking fees associated with the permits (to avoid a double charge). With that said, it did not fully cover the Widgawa Lodge parking fees.

PostPosted: October 15th, 2020, 8:06 pm 

Parks Ontario charges an outrageous amount for parking at the Chikinishing Creek parking lot. No rebates. Whazza problem?