View topic - You Tube Video - Lower Missiniabi River Trip

It is currently August 4th, 2020, 6:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: August 1st, 2007, 7:24 pm 

As promised, here is the video of our Lower Missinaibi River Trip of June 2007, Mattice to Moosonee. We filmed it on a digital camera (with a monster data card) - sorry for the wind in the microphone and the shaky camera hand.

It's posted in two parts (9.5 mins each) on Youtube. If you're bored, skip to the sequence at the end of part two for a good laugh.

Hope you enjoy it!

Part One:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=yWLddVRtxsw

Part Two:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=RbCGkDCwex4

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 1st, 2007, 8:01 pm 

Thanks for sharing that. Agreed, gotta have a montage!

Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans - John Lennon, Beautiful Boy Everyone has a mountain to climb. Everyone has a wilderness inside. - Laurence Gonzales, Deep Survival

http://picasaweb.google.com/BlackCanoeDog

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 1st, 2007, 8:40 pm 

Even Rocky had a montage! :lol:

Not sure if that was an original song but it sure made me laugh.

Great report, really want to make the trip myself now.
:clap:

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 1st, 2007, 9:15 pm 

Excellent !!!

Thank you for sharing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 1st, 2007, 9:39 pm 

Yeah, not quite an original song. Got to thank the guys from "South Park" for that one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 1st, 2007, 9:46 pm 

Thanks for the memories. We did that trip in September of 2000. Lots fewer bugs, but also less water. One boat was in rough shape by the time we went under the bridge. We ended up camping on a big gravel bar we called Gilligan's island and bushwhacking out the the tracks the next day to catch the train into Moosonee. Spent a couple of night at the Polar Bear & had the opportunity to chat with the traveling court. Some of their customers were on the train when we went south on Thursday.

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 2nd, 2007, 1:17 am 

great video, rob "... and it dropped this huge deuce" girard!

how long did the trip take?

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 2nd, 2007, 11:07 am 

We scheduled for 10 days of paddling, but ended up pulling into Moosonee in 8. After the portages were out of the way, we were doing 50 KM almost daily. We had some current to help us, but a head wind the whole way except day 1 & a bit of day 2.

An awesome trip! And the best may have been the fact we didn't see anyone else the whole stretch.

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 2nd, 2007, 11:35 am 

robgirard wrote:

An awesome trip! And the best may have been the fact we didn't see anyone else the whole stretch.

Just spectacular sights, and being absolutely alone must have felt like heaven. Didn't realize how different the landscape was there - as kids on the PB Express it all looked like APP to me so I was surprised at the uniqueness. Trip of a lifetime in only 8 days - amazing. Your getting good at this videographer thing.

One gear question - Why 2 tents? For personal preference or just because that was the gear you had already?

As twilight drifts to even.
- Pauline Johnson -

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 2nd, 2007, 12:45 pm 

Thanks for the compliments on the video. I guess with each trip, I'm starting to put thought into what I shoot from an editing perspective. Better footage makes for easier production!

As for the 2 tents, both or our tents are fairly small. You could get by in one, and if the weather were horrendous, we'd have done that. However, there were 3 of us... not 2. Jackson, Dave's Husky, shared his tent with him. That kept him out of the rain, but more importantly, gave him a break from the bugs. 3 of us in either of those tents would have been really tight.

Another reason for 2 tents is to give us a break from each other. Spending every waking moment with someone can be challenging, depending on the conditions. I think if we had shared tents and one person hogged their "side", that would be annoying, and night after night, those frustrations may boil up to something bigger.

Anyway, things worked out awesome. Not sure if the 2 tents played any part in that, but it couldn't have hurt.

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 2nd, 2007, 12:53 pm 

ya I wondered if Jackson was an issue for you but the idea of alone time is a good one too for such a trip. I was thinking 2 tents means some safety too if one gets ruined, but Dave's looks a bit small for 2 guys and a dog either way.

As twilight drifts to even.
- Pauline Johnson -

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 2nd, 2007, 8:46 pm 

The 2 tents was probably our best idea. Even though we set up right next to each other on most of the nights (within speaking distance, actually), it helped to add a bit of privacy to the whole affair. We could still have a bug free chat before hitting the sack or spend an hour reading silently and watching the sun go down.

The extra weight wasn't much of a problem. And to be honest, before this trip, Rob and I hadn't seen each other since high school (ten years), so we wondered how well we were going to get along. We'd chatted online a bunch, sent a few emails back and forth, and that was it. Turned out great, however. Never ran out of things to talk about!

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 2nd, 2007, 8:48 pm 

Here's a shortie version of the video...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Yt5JiZ6ahzE