View topic - Kesagami/Partridge R. Trip Report

It is currently August 4th, 2020, 7:06 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: July 11th, 2008, 11:55 pm 

is here....

http://scott-outthere.blogspot.com/

Please feel free to take a few moments and check it out.

As always, any comments or criticisms are welcome.

take care all,

Scott

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 12th, 2008, 8:49 am 

Nice report. How reliable was the SPOT? I hope it works better than Globalstar's sat phones.

G Martin

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 12th, 2008, 12:04 pm 

The SPOT worked very well, that is until the thunderstorms went through on the night of the 21st. I sent my "OK" message after I had eaten supper, but after an hour I noticed the unit's double lights were still flashing indicating it was still sending the message. There was quite a bit of electrical activity and heavy rain with the storms and I'm fairly certaint this would have affected it's ability to either send the signal, or have it received.

I have to wonder if this would have affected any other satellite phone as well. I had briefly thought of taking an Iridium handset with me, but then based on Harlan's & other reports of the "SPOT" actually being pretty reliable after some initial problems, I decided to go with it.

Scott

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 12th, 2008, 8:35 pm 

Do I want to know what "The water levels for these rapids were perfect, in my opinion, as lower water would have been a PITA in some sections, and higher water would have had me portaging at least one ledge. " means? (PITA) If it can be translated into PG language, then yes!

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 12th, 2008, 9:36 pm 

Great Report!

You should send it into the WCA so it can be published in an upcoming Nastagan.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 13th, 2008, 12:04 pm 

Hi Speckled Lout:

Thanks for posting that. I really enjoyed it. I also liked the way you built in the Moose Factory - Moosonee part of the trip, including support of the local economy and contacts. You are a good canoeing ambassador.

What is your boat? Is that a Swift Raven? What did you do for a portage yoke?

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 13th, 2008, 7:40 pm 

Quote:
(PITA) If it can be translated into PG language, then yes!

Hi Cheryl. PITA = Pain In the A$$. My water levels, compared with some previous reports, were high, but not in spring flood. They made most rapids very runnable with very little dragging. However anything hgher would have made some sections definitely more difficult.

Quote:
send it into the WCA so it can be published in an upcoming Nastagan.

Thanks, Rob, for the compliment, I'd be happy to share it with anyone.

Quote:
What is your boat? Is that a Swift Raven? What did you do for a portage yoke?

Hi HOOP. I picked up a used Supernova in good shape, with this trip in mind. I'm really glad I had it as Nova Craft really made a great solo boat for river tripping with this one. I actually did without a portage yoke, and simply lashed my spare paddle across the boat as a thwart/yoke. One of the reasons I chose this route is because it has very few portages. I logged 5 in total the entire trip, if you can believe it, and the longest carry was between Partridge L & Kesagami L, and I bet it's only 500-600 metres. If I had chosen a more portage-heavy route I would have made a removeable yoke.

Oh and I should have mentioned this earlier, but your report on Woodland Caribou was fantastic. I think I'll investigate getting up there sooner, rather than later.

I also wanted to post here that I have nothing but positive things to say about my time in Moose Factory/Moosonee. In fact everyone I met gave me the "small-town-hospitality" treatment that's lacking here in Southern Ontario sometimes. As things as they were I would have liked to have spent another day or so paddling and/or hiking around, however circumstances here at home were very pressing.

Scott

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 14th, 2008, 12:00 am 

Hey Scott, nice report and pictures!

How did your skirt perform for you? It looks great.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 14th, 2008, 11:09 pm 

Superb account of your adventure Scott. It is really too bad I was out of town and unable to meet you when you were coming through. Strangely, Jean is my wifes aunt, and so much like many other parts of your trip I was able to relate quite closely to your experiences. I've seen much of the Partridge from the air numerous times, been on the Bay many times in the boat and crossed in front of the Partridge there. Fished all corners of Kesagami Lake and met Charlie and some of the others there, and even traveled the 652 and stopped at the Upper Kesagami and George for a fish. Of course everything Moose Factory is home for me as well.

It's true... everyone around here is a joker, especially the taxiboat guys.

Pieces of this wilderness up here can be so colossal at times that they make you feel part of some higher energy. I can bet you felt that a number of times on your trip.

Great report. Thanks for sharing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 15th, 2008, 8:53 am 

Your trip must have ended earlier than expected. I was in town on the 23rd and 24th and took the Little Bear out on the 25th. :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 15th, 2008, 8:29 pm 

Quote:
How did your skirt perform for you? It looks great.

Hi Ted,

I'm really glad I had the skirt, and I think it really did turn out well. I was especially glad I had it on Kesagami Lake the day I paddled up to the lodge. The wind and rain was driving, and I was taking spray to boot that day. Unfortunately I lost half of it when I dumped. I'm still trying to figure that one out as I had it stashed in a mesh pocket that covers the front half of my pack. I could have used the rest of it on James Bay. Luckily I still have enough material left to remake the other half.

Quote:
Your trip must have ended earlier than expected. I was in town on the 23rd and 24th and took the Little Bear out on the 25th.

Hi Moosebunk.

Yup, it did end earlier than I had planned. I was one day ahead of schedule as I had elected to continue paddling rather than stay and fish at Kesagami L., and the water was high & the current on the lower 2/3's of the Partridge was quite strong which also helped me put in quite a few more km's than planned. I was really moving after my breaking camp on the Partridge on the 21st, and I stayed like that right out to James Bay. I thought for sure those sections would take me at least another half day longer to complete.

Quote:
Pieces of this wilderness up here can be so colossal at times that they make you feel part of some higher energy. I can bet you felt that a number of times on your trip.

I truly got that feeling when I got to Kesagami Lake, and saw how big and ugly it was/could be, I got it again when I heard the wolves, when i went through that huge burn area, and of course when I hit James Bay. There are most definitely forces at work in this part of the world that some folks don't get a chance to see, and I was very glad to be a part of it, if only briefly.

It also looks like I may be back in the not-too-distant future. After seeing my pics, and reading my report, my wife is now curious about maybe doing the Missinaibi in the next year or so.

Take care all,

Scott

p.s. Please also give my best to Jean, Norm, Nicole and Debbie when you see them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 17th, 2008, 8:56 pm 

http://www.ofncommunity.com/forums/inde ... ntry224287

There's some pics of the Missinaibi at the end of this report.

There's also a fella who takes people through the Hell's Gate area but down the Coal River... as an option. I run alot of these canoists over with my canoe when I'm out fishing in the spring. lol. :roll: