View topic - Sakatawi Revisited

It is currently August 14th, 2020, 8:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Sakatawi Revisited
PostPosted: February 28th, 2009, 9:50 pm 

In 2008 we tried to recreate a trip that I did in 1978 .....

A circle route from Opeepeesway Lake ... down the Opeepeesway River ... up the Rush River to Rush Lake ... up the Rice River to Rice Lake ... and back around to Opeepeesway.

As expected, the portages were gone and we needed to approach Opeepeesway Lake from Arbutus Lake ... but we figured we were up to the challenge.

Here's the story ... with pictures, maps and videos.
http://www.canoecouple.com/Adventures/Sakatawi/Sakatawi.html

Scott

Post subject: Re: Sakatawi Revisited
PostPosted: August 29th, 2012, 4:26 pm 

I just completed a loop trip from just south of Jerome Mine to Rice ,over to Rush and back through Mallard and Rae Lakes to Opeepeesway . The portages are pretty good although there was 3 trees that I trimmed on the southern section going into Opeepeesway . The low water extension was required here .
Thanks for all the work you did to open this section . I've been looking to do this loop for several years and your efforts made it possible and enjoyable . scouter Joe

PostPosted: August 29th, 2012, 8:01 pm 

Hey Scouter ... long time since we've chatted.

Thanks for the update.
That low water section of the portage from Rae to Opeepeesway probably should have been cleared a little better ...

How long were you out?
How much of Rice Lake did you visit?
Did you have any fishing luck?
Run into the fly-in guys on either Rice or Rush?

Scott

PostPosted: August 30th, 2012, 6:42 pm 

Hi Scott , The low water extension was a bit confusing till I figured it out . There was some blowdown where the trail split and I followed the one that started up a hill . So I turned around found the right trail and took it to the put in . On the way back I moved the offending branches and got the canoe through OK . Just a bit more flagging tape would have made a big difference as the trail was good even if it wasn't near as nice as the main trail .
I didn't run into any fly in fisherman but I did see 3 island campsites with boat caches on them . I don't usually fish so I can't comment on the fishing . Started on Sunday morning at 10 :30 and made the first island cmpsite on Rice . On Monday I paddled from island to island but stayed in the west section of the lake . Paddled lined portaged and waded a few of the easier rapids of the Rice river . Pretty straight foreward .Marion Lake was a bit of a surprise as my map didn't show it exactly as it was . I did though manage to get through to Mallard Lake and made camp on the south western island . Tuesday I only paddled from Mallard to Rae , portaged to Opeepeesway and camped on an island about 3 and a half kilometers from the take out . Wed I was out at the truck by 8 .
There was about a 10 or 12 vehicals along the road at the put in on Sunday and 4 when I took out . The road in is very good . Saw a few fisher people on Opeepeesway and one boat of fishermen on Rice . No other canoes . Nice trip and hope to make it back some day . scouter Joe