View topic - Kattwagami June 27 to July 8th 2009

It is currently August 4th, 2020, 6:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: July 11th, 2009, 6:16 pm 

Great trip even with the caveats that there's 2 days of flat on the front and back end, it rained every day(yes, every day, we even got to naming clouds after Harry Potter characters), the bugs little hungry, and ther's a bit of work involved......this is mitigted by fantastic company and beautiful vistas on what is now a low travel volume river. (based on sign and talking to the oufitter and people in Moose factory)

Crew: 4 canoes (our family in two) and two other tandems with a total compliment of 8 paddlers

main resources:
Front end shuttle Terry O'Neil aka Johnny Bait http://www.polarbearoutfitters.com 705-272-5680
excellent! multiple pre trip contacts to update us on conditions, levels and bugs and to make sure we were ok.
He and his drivers go with you to the put in and then take your vehicle back to the outfitters; you call from Mooseenee train and he will meet you with your vehicles at the train. Very secure. They have a beaver air service as well. Highly recommend him for shuttle services.

Creeadventures@moosecree.com Clarance Trapper and associates.
You may have to call a bit on the front end to get a live person BUT these are very relaible and seasoned guides. Phoned him on the 7th (pick up scheduled for the 8th) he gave us an alternative pick up and his guides were there before 8am. They took a couple of the guys up to Goosecamp and the rest of us packed while they unloaded cargo. I can't say enough about the guides. They wanted to make sure the kids would not be frightened on the Bay. They have sat phones, GPS....it's a very modern set up. It's a 2 hour shuttle, wear a coat and if you have a pillow for your butt.....you're hemoroids will thank me.

Map set provided by Richard Culpepper. Very compident set of maps. Very minor discrepancies and to be honest, it was probably due to river levels; We did get a little confused with distances around the "spruces" Staightened it out after "the chute" compare this rapid to the Finale at the end and I would have to say the chute is c-4....we ran it, left channel. All in all though, don't downgrade the rapids in the planning stages, at our levels the ratings were correct. This is the only rapid (the chute) I'll say we ran or didn't beause:
a. if you can't make your own mind up.....
b. I'm in a 14ft caption lightly loaded with a kid who prefers creeky lines which is useless info to you guys
c. maps, trip reports and yahoo's online shouldn't be taken as gospel :wink: :lol:
There are a couple other spots where the distances were shorter than expected. All in all the maps are comprable to anything we've used from Cartesplein air well done Richard. PS, I get what you said about the bay....some piece of water

Daryl's GPS coordinates...... very helpful in confirming locations and campsites on the lower half of the river
Ther is another set of maps created by Wanipeti......a couple of the falls are named differently

More later...gotta run

Pictures? I had the only waterproof on the trip which I thought had a charged battery 2 weeks prior.......apparently mutliple movies of a guinea pigs butt eats up battery.....
I'll get permission to post the others. Remeber, it rained for parts of everyday and the other cameras are not waterproof so don't expect shots of big water runs :wink:
Ok ok trip report:
There's a couple trip reports in Nastawgan particulalrly Summer 2004,vol 31, no 2....... way different water levels but the campsite detils were most helpful as was the pacing information down the river. I personally would schedule my trip for water levels like we had. the last two days of this trip are floating fast over shallow shale rapids for miles.....low water would make this finding channels

CAMPSITES
June 27th, Camp 1 25 or so km down the river (I'll get Gerry's GPS coordinates) Bush camp.....nice moss and couple flatish sites....the bugs were bad (aka needed jackets) good night sleep, room to set up bug tent and 3 tents, no swimming or view but you're hauling ass down to Bailey so why is that impotant? Functional rating C+

June 28th, C2 Bailey lake couple to choose from; you won't have a problem finding the river outtake.....there is a cree hunt cabin just right of it; this is the last human signs you'll see till the Kes. When approching Bailey you will have one obvious choose right or left....go left and around the head of land on the right to Bailey proper, the cabin and outtake will be obvious from here.

June 29th C3 Eddy hop rocks above rapid...... found bear poo, an old 22 automtic rifle rusted out. we managed to set up the three tents and the bug shelter. all pads were slightly slanted
adequate but not anyones favorite. Could take a bath but no swimming, functionality C-

June 30th, C4 Adrienne Falls....view was great. Campsite half way down left side...just follow Richards directions. Camp pads were a little damp but usable and flat. Set up 3 tents (little tight but not bad) anthe bug shelter....bugs at this point I think were getting better (or were drowning) Great spot to catch the morning sun to dry our flies and tents......yes we did have morning sun Great little bath hole with continual in and out water supply and circulation, no swimming
Functional B-, view and feel A

July 1st C5 below Terrace falls, 100 m river right rocks adequate, distant view of the falls. Can wash and bugs were good, didn't set up bug tent
C +
Before you get to Terrace is the biggest portage of the trip:
the portage around Maze, it's there, the trail can be picked up but it wil be a little grown. There are a couple of blowdowns on the last 100 m (we didn't do the full 800m, we put in and ran the last shelf and ferried over to the base of the massive slanted rock and walked up to take a look at the various drops. Ugliest hole of the trip goes to a little gem river right half way down. This is a very pretty falls.

July 2nd C6 we continued past Heaven's camp. There are a number of very pretty drops and Hraven's campsite is at one of these (we think). There is also about a 1/2 click or so down the river a little bay with a C2 chute leading into it, on river left is a rock outcropping that offers ok tent pads, relative ease of bathroom access...um yea, after awhile this matters :wink: the view isn't as good as heaven's camp but it's fuctional with great swimming potential....I imagine if it wasn't cold . No bug shelter this time, didn't need it or head nets.

July 3&4th It was raining on and off this day, some very spectatular drops and a couple portage/line. Arrow chutes has huge campsite potential. We opted to stay two nights at Wannighan because by this point my "fall and bruse something" count was up to three and others had had worse days and we were ahead of schedule. Right side at the base of Wannighan is a really nice site, It has swim potential and room for a number of tents. Bug shelter was set up but not used the second day. Did a little flower and plant walk.
Autobaun and Frog Song have good camp potential too.
I'll give it a B, ther are other prettier sites but this one is fuctional with a view. Really in this section, you won't have camp problems anyway.

July 5th C9 Last Island Campsite, we had been using Darryl's coordinates to verify but they came in handiest on the lower half as quite frankly the campistes aren't obvious or plentyful. This one has adequate room for 3 tents plus bug shelter, access to getting a bath and gravel to sleep on
C+ in my book view? after the last 5 days it is not fair to rate view, we saw golden and bald eagles, yellow feet and got dive bombed by an Osprey on this day.....
water very cold

July 6th....fondly labeled the shit hole. I hate sand. mix it with oozing clay. Had to take a bath at this point cleaning cloths only take you so far :lol:
ended up passed my knees in clay that is hard to get off. Oh, it's raining and the little creeks run muddy.
but there's room for tents so I'll give it a D

July 7th last camp. 1 km from Harc. little stream on river left. High bank with a supurbly flat dry plateau. It's one of the Chum family camps (they have a couple along this shore. Clarance will know where you are

Quote of the trip?
Humor ran high....oh and I got out politico-ed....seriously bad..... don't mess with a PEI liberal :lol:
quote of the trip goes to Peter....
my hubby was grousing about his colman apollo stove and threating to replace the thing when Peter pipes up
"bhah, you won't replace it, it's like Gail, you paid too much for it and it works occasionally"

I got the "cougar" award apprently as well. there was a small forrest burn on our second day (above Bailey lake) o the side of the river we met one of the fire fighters who were encamped putting out the last of the hot spots. Now what i meant to say was to compliment his parentage and great smile...... :P but being in the company of another cougar it came out something like Hello, did you just see that......now wouldn't that sell fire fighter calandars.... dam!

that's the gist of the trip.....
fantastic trip.
water level rose and we started at medium, no gauge but the Missinabi rose higher than it was same time lst year.

With good white water skills and lining abilites, this is a stellar experience.
If you plan this don't expect more than 10 km a day in the middle section. Sure if you are really fit, go light which I think is for the birds, with excellent boat scouting abilites and push really hard anything is possible but we were happy with single digit advances.....you can make time on the front and back ends.
total length 11 days with one rest day.

everyone had drysuits and we wore them alot

Last edited by Gail R on July 13th, 2009, 12:16 pm, edited 5 times in total.

PostPosted: July 11th, 2009, 7:38 pm 

Welcome back Gail.

Glad to hear you had a great trip despite the weather. I'm really looking forward to hearing/seeing more as the river is still in my plans for the near future.

Work has been unusually busy this summer, so my plans for another trip up there are on hold til next year. :(

Although I suppose I shouldn't complain too much, considering the times.

Post some pics!

Cheers,
Scott

PostPosted: July 13th, 2009, 12:20 pm 

Hiya Scott, I half expected you to be the solo chap in the pack boat 5 days ahead of us according to Terry.
I'll go through the pictures and pick a few.

It's a great river Scott, very wilderness feel. Other than being Buzzed by what we think was the abitibi Helicopter......nice of them to do a second fly past to check on us.....we saw no one

So that's what I'm going to call a trip report. We had a stellar crew with us and very much enjoyed the experience.

Cheers
Gail
oh yea, forgot the fishing....we brought a rod...
there's lots of fish, and we would have eaten more than one taste if someone hadn't taken a header of a rock and landed on the rod.
drop your line whenever you get dive bombed by Osprey....they are pretty territorial
forgot best meal award:
this is a hard one because the food was great, but I have to give the nod to Jack's GadoGado......
and yes Peter, Since Kenzie circled like a vuture everytime you made double smoke bacon we are adding it to the must haves..... thanks for packing half a pigs arse with you, oh and great cheese!

PostPosted: July 13th, 2009, 12:44 pm 

There are GREAT photos available on the FaceBook, but I'm not sure who can see them.

Nancy Godsoe's Katawagami trip 09

PostPosted: July 13th, 2009, 12:59 pm 

Gail R wrote:
Creeadventures@moosecree.com Clarence Trapper and associates.

Did you meet my buddy Clarence? How is he? I have heard he "grew" a bit. Last time he was in Ottawa I fed him and his folks with Slovak Halusky, but they were not too impressed. They are used to meat, and this was food like a "dumplings with feta cheese and some bacon".

Last edited by Wolverine on July 13th, 2009, 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: July 13th, 2009, 3:05 pm 

Hiya Lester, no, I regret i didn't get to meet Clarance. Goose Camp isn't finsihed yet either. Told they are expecting August sometime. It should be pretty easy to pick up the back end of a shuttle then. Not that it's difficult now.

And now to get you in shit, tell Lynette I got my camp chair portaged for me......I think you can brin a certain throne no?

:lol: :lol:
take care and have a great trip!

PostPosted: July 13th, 2009, 3:57 pm 

Gail R wrote:
Goose Camp isn't finsihed yet either. Told they are expecting August sometime.

It was "almost" finished in August 2000, when I was there. :)

When I tried to use the washroom in the night I managed to bang my head to some log. Ouch!

PostPosted: July 13th, 2009, 9:36 pm 

Gail R wrote:
I half expected you to be the solo chap in the pack boat 5 days ahead of us according to Terry.

......drop your line whenever you get dive bombed by Osprey....they are pretty territorial

If my plans would have worked out it would have been me ahead of you. Unfortunately/fortunately I've been putting in 50 hour work weeks for the last 5 months, and it looks like I may only squeeze in a week long trip somewhere this year.

I know what you mean by the Osprey, one buzzed me a few times on the upper Kesagami last year. Fearless birds! I swear that thing was only 8-10' above me!

And you got out out-politicked?? By a PEI Liberal????? :o

PostPosted: July 14th, 2009, 12:29 pm 

An worldly cares keep me here, so I will live vicariously through your trip report - thanks :)