View topic - Girls and Dog to Blueberry Lake Temagami

It is currently December 9th, 2022, 9:05 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: October 8th, 2009, 6:27 pm 

Tripping for my husband and I this summer just wasn't going to happen with his work schedule and then a physical injury interfering. Our daughter then asked about her, I and the dog maybe taking a trip. Was it pity for her Mom? No, she assured me, she really felt after an almost 10 year hiatus she needed to brush up on her rusty tripping/camping skills. I was good with that, so we started planning.

We decided four days/3nights base camp and Blueberry Lake in Temagami came to mind. Lana wanted to swim and hike and see old growth forest. We both wanted some built in relaxation time too and felt Blueberry would fit the bill.

Benny, our golden, loves to swim but we had never put him in the canoe. He only had two overnight tenting stays under his collar. We did a dry land in-canoe training session with commands of "Ben, IN", "Ben, OUT", "DOWN", and "WAIT". Benny was loving this and stayed lying down even when we rocked the canoe on our front lawn. Good Dog! We didn't have time for a real practise on water.

We were packed and set the alarm for 4:30am. Quick showers and on the road. A couple of stops, breakfast, driver switch, and in North Bay for some wine to go with our dinners.

We reached Cassels Lake public dock about 2pm. Couple of people watched us load up the canoe as Ben lapped up their attention between dips in the lake. Packs in, Lana bow, me in stern with room for Ben in front of me. Ben excitedly waiting for my "IN" command. I gave it to him and he anixously but carefully stepped in and layed down.

"Good dog."

As I push away from dock Lana asks, "Shouldn't we have taken him out in the canoe before the packs were loaded?" She could feel Ben shaking the canoe without turning around to look.

"No", I said, "the canoe is more stable with a load, and besides we may even get the practise of self rescue." Dumping was something I was not really looking forward to though as Ben kept trying to stand up and drink the lake and I kept telling him to lie down. Luckily it was sunny and warm and the wind was blowing us in the direction we needed to go, so with little paddling we just stayed calm and Ben started to feel more comfortable in ten minutes. He's a great dog. He'll do anything we do just to be with us.

We only had one portage of under 400m. Lana took her cell phone out and discovered she had service, better service than at home. She texted her brother Eric that we were now portaging into Blueberry. We doubled it. Ben probably sextupled it, packless. We signed the log book at the Blueberry end.

We started paddling toward a campsite and from the water it didn't look promising so we headed for the one on the south-east shore next to the rock that split into large slices like a loaf of bread. Nice, raised site, fire pit on the edge of terraced rock, facing west and good swimming. Home for the next three nights.

Camp was set up and supper started while we sat and enjoyed cocktail hour, soaking up the sunset. Lana pulled out the camera along with her cell phone and iPod. We have similar taste in music so we listened to some Tragically Hip and U2. I've never tripped with a cell phone and we were surprized she had reception here. Some of her friends were texting her, inviting her to meet them at a hometown bar not knowing she was up in Temagami. It was strange to me, these tentacles of civilization reaching out to us as we watched and listened to loons. We were tired and went early to bed to look at the map for tomorrow's hike on the Old Growth Trail.

After our morning bagel egg/bacon sandwiches we packed our lunch stuff and water then paddled a short distance to the trail. Ben had his swim then we started out. Big pine that Lana figured would take three people to reach around. Ben must have been intimidated, he didn't pee on it. The weather was perfect, lotsa mushrooms in bright colours, trail just the right length to stretch the legs.

The next day we paddled into the marsh hoping to find a sundew plant. No luck but we did find pitcher plants. We also hiked the short Charcoal Trail to view a burn from 1996. The tallest trees survived with scars and the understory is now well on it's way to filling in the space. Lana picked up a piece of charcoal to give to her firefighter boyfriend.

Lana and I lucked out at having picked the best week weather wise of the summer. Ben is now a seasoned tripper dog. The last time I tripped with Lana she was a teen and now she is a companionable young woman. We're still Mom and Daughter, but also friends. We enjoyed swimming, hiking, fires before bed, but Lana never did learn how to set up the tarp. Oh, well, there's always next year!

Hope you enjoy the pics.
http://s660.photobucket.com/albums/uu32 ... Sept%2009/

Last edited by splashdancer on September 7th, 2010, 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: October 15th, 2009, 10:39 am 

splashdancer wrote:

Hope you enjoy the pics.

Nice trip and pics. We enjoyed 4d/3n back in July, but suffered through about 6 days worth of rain when we were on Blueberry lake.

Stosh

PostPosted: October 17th, 2009, 5:40 pm 

that's great robbie, love the photos too. some of your mushroom, mini fern shots are terrific. lana's a lucky 'kid'

As twilight drifts to even.
- Pauline Johnson -

PostPosted: October 17th, 2009, 10:22 pm 

Thanks for the great trip report (you have an adorable dog).
I am hoping to visit Temagami next year, so it is nice to see some of the landscapes. I purchased the Hap Wilson Temagami book to plan my trip, but it's a little overwhelming with so many routes to choose from.

PostPosted: October 18th, 2009, 7:41 am 

4tanya wrote:
Thanks for the great trip report (you have an adorable dog).
I am hoping to visit Temagami next year, so it is nice to see some of the landscapes. I purchased the Hap Wilson Temagami book to plan my trip, but it's a little overwhelming with so many routes to choose from.

4tanya,
Try going to the forum on www.ottertooth.com
and post there for suggestions. The people on ottertooth are experts about Temagami.

Bill

www.friendsoftemagami.org
www.friendsofchiniguchi.com
www.wildernesscleanup.com

PostPosted: October 27th, 2009, 8:12 am 

4tanya

We felt the same way and delayed our trip for a year because we felt so over whelmed by the choices. What helped was when we finally sat down and instead of looking at the routes we looked at what we wanted to accomplish with the trip. This helps to narrow our focus and made planning much easier. In the end we decided that we wanted to climb Maple Mt. and paddle the North and South Channels. With that we were able to eliminate most other access points besides Mowat and Sandy Inlet. We choose Sandy Inlet and from there it became relatively easy to build our route around our two main objectives. Ottertooth is a great help. We also found that “The Adventure Map” Temagami 1 from Chrismar was a great help. I like Haps book but I find the maps somewhat hard to follow. We ended up doing 120k over 8 days we saw and did everything we set out to do and had a great trip.

PostPosted: October 27th, 2009, 8:31 am 

Here's a couple links to everything you need to know about Blueberry Lake. We spent 3 nights there in 2008 with our 2 Goldens - just relaxed, swam and hiked the trails, easy to get to and the 2nd link shows the newly opened portages through Tucker and Sunrise Lakes so you can make it a loop trip if you wish.

http://www.ancientforest.org/blueberry.html

http://www.friendsoftemagami.org/index.php/in-the-news/general-news/49-bluberry-lake-loop-canoe-route

Cheers
Sid

"There are no shortcuts to anyplace worth going"-unknown

PostPosted: October 30th, 2009, 1:46 pm 

Thanks for the links. This should make planning much easier!