View topic - Slate Islands May 10 - 20

It is currently September 20th, 2020, 6:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: May 29th, 2010, 6:08 pm 

I'm just back from another spring adventure on the Slate Islands.
The weather this year was outstanding ... mostly sunny days although the cold water temperature keeps it cool on the island.

Nights were in the 2 - 7 degree range and days were 12 - 17 Celsius.

Due to the mild winter in the north the caribou have gotten an early start on spring and the bulls have already sprouted amazing antlers ... twice as big as last years at this point.
The water in Lake Superior is about a foot below what it was last fall and promises to remain low all summer. This means that if you go there this summer that the shores will be easy hiking and the water will likely be pretty warm due to the early ice out.
Kathy and I were swimming at the Slates until September 21 last year.

I'll update http://cariboucharters.com/ as soon as possible ... we're off to Quebec for two weeks of fishing first.

Here are a couple of pictures to whet your appetite.
First a cow that wandered by on the beach.

Then our old friend Buddy that we met in 2007.
We heard that he wasn't around last year and he didn't come to visit us in the fall ... but lo and behold ... here he is.

This is the guy we call Dave ... for "Dave the Destroyer" ... in the fall he's a holy terror on the landscape.

For some reason Dave feels safe enough around us so that he'll lie down right in our campsite ... this spot is within 30 feet of our tent.
Several times during my stay I went to bed with him sleeping outside ... and yes, caribou do snore.

This guy wandered into the campsite one afternoon ... and although he was quite skittish around me I managed to get some good photos of him while he was preoccupied with Dave ... who is in the background.

If you are at all interested in a trip to the Slate Islands see http://cariboucharters.com/ and give Doug Caldwell a call.

Scott

PostPosted: May 29th, 2010, 11:32 pm 

Hello ScottW: Absulutely amazing photos of the caribou!!! I like your cotton canvas tent. I've only used mine for winter trekking. Thank you very much for sharring!

Take care,
Cousin Pete

"Tradition means giving votes to the most obscure of all classes, our ancestors. It is the democracy of the dead. Tradition refuses to submit to that arrogant oligarchy who merely happen to be walking around." - G.K. Chesterton, Orthodoxy, 1908

PostPosted: May 30th, 2010, 9:08 am 

Thanks cous

The tent is used for our swing season trips to the Slates and for my moose hunting excursions.

On those occasions the space is needed as well as a warm dry place in case of inclement weather.
The wood stove ... a Two Dog Stove ... from the Four Dog Stove Company ... will have you opening the flaps to cool the place off.

I've got a couple of pre-fabed tables that I built that make the place a dream to live and work in.

I can guarantee that if you go ... and are quiet around your campsite ... that you'll see caribou.
Camp anywhere on the inner waterways and Dave will probably show up for a handout.

If you camp in Pud's Bay ... Doug can put you there easily ... both Buddy and Dave will probably show up.

The only thing I ask is please no human food ... try some carrots ... I find that they work quite well.

Scott

PostPosted: May 30th, 2010, 1:10 pm 

Norm Head takes people out to Slate Island:

http://www.algonquintreks.ca/

PostPosted: May 31st, 2010, 12:47 pm 

Scott, I'm blown away by your pics sir. I think i recognize your avatar pic from Quetico and Beyond, by Kevin C. I read about your retirement trip into Woodland Caribou and even though I'm only 29 years old, it made me want to quickly retire into the same recreational endevours as you and your wife. I'm heading to Caribou country for a wilderness trip ASAP. Hopefully next summer.

Thanks for the inspiring pics/report.

Jason

ScottW wrote:
Thanks cous

The tent is used for our swing season trips to the Slates and for my moose hunting excursions.

On those occasions the space is needed as well as a warm dry place in case of inclement weather.
The wood stove ... a Two Dog Stove ... from the Four Dog Stove Company ... will have you opening the flaps to cool the place off.

I've got a couple of pre-fabed tables that I built that make the place a dream to live and work in.

I can guarantee that if you go ... and are quiet around your campsite ... that you'll see caribou.
Camp anywhere on the inner waterways and Dave will probably show up for a handout.

If you camp in Pud's Bay ... Doug can put you there easily ... both Buddy and Dave will probably show up.

The only thing I ask is please no human food ... try some carrots ... I find that they work quite well.

Scott

PostPosted: May 31st, 2010, 5:16 pm 

Thanks Jason

Yes indeed we're the people that helped Kevin with "Quetico and Beyond" ... and did the 60 and 65 day trips in Woodland Caribou Park and then north of there.

I consider myself to be one of the luckyist guys in the world ... at 70 I'm still able to portage our canoe and packs ... and we're not hesitant to tackle new ventures.
For instance we've been reopening sections of the old Sakatawi canoe route over the past four years.
We should finish this year ... which will leave us free to go back to the Red Lake area next year for a 40 day trip starting and ending at North Spirit Lake.
In the meantime we're off to the Slates again this fall.

At 29 you've got lots of time ... just take the time to acquire wilderness skills ... good equipment ... and take care of your health.

When you're ready to head for the Slates give Doug a call ... and tell him that I sent you ... it won't get you a discount but it should be good for a few stories on the trip out and back ... I've known him for over 25 years now.

Scott