View topic - Upper Missinaibi River - June 16th - 22nd

It is currently August 4th, 2020, 7:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: June 23rd, 2010, 4:01 pm 

I just got back from the upper Missinaibi from Peterbell to Mattice.

The gauge was 2.8 which is quite low but I had a blast. I was able to run all runnable rapids according to Hap Wilson's book, only lined twice...once on a C1 towards the beginning of the route and once again on the shelf in Devil Shoepack Rapids. I also had to do one lift over on the last drop on Albany Rapids...a few too many exposed rocks. I scrapped the bottom of the boat a couple of times on some swifts but the magority of rapids were run without any problem.

Had the level been any lower I would have been lining/portaging much more. Had the level been up 2 feet I'm sure it would have been perfect.

At 2.8, Wavy was very pronounced and was a blast. I lined the top part of Greenhill and ran the last 2/3rds of it as per Haps book. At this level I found there to be MANY rocks exposed and I would rate the rapid a CIITech. It was fun but the limit on my whitewater ability for rock dodging! Again if the level had been 1-2 feet higher I'm sure Greenhill would have been much more enjoyable.

I would run this river anytime again at a guage of 2.8 but would likely hold off if any lower.

I will try to post a full report soon, this was a spectacular river and I was teary eyed when I reached the take out in Mattice.

This was easily one of the best solo canoe trips I have done!

Sam

PostPosted: June 23rd, 2010, 4:06 pm 

I meant to say one more thing about Greenhill Rapids. Hap mentions it in his book Journey to the Northern Sky and I agree fully with him. If you are going to attempt to run it be prepared to run it. After I lined the C3 the rapid gets much more difficult to line even at a gauge of 2.8, it would be better to portage the entire rapid then get into it not being prepared to run the remaining 2/3rds.

Sam

PostPosted: June 23rd, 2010, 4:23 pm 

Thank you for the update. I'm starting my Missinaibi trip on July 2nd at Peterbell and was extremely worried about the current water level.