View topic - Intro to Wabakimi Provincial Park: Ten Day Paddling Trip

It is currently November 27th, 2021, 3:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: October 13th, 2010, 9:26 am 

In late August and early September my brother and I spent ten days paddling in Wabakimi Provincial Park, thanks in large part to the help found in the Ontario Discussion and Resources sub-forum. The route we did was a nice mix of downriver travel (the Allanwater River from the Bridge all the way to Wabakimi Lake and then the Ogoki River down to Whitewater Lake), some lake paddling, and some upriver work to get back to the take-out point. During the ten days of our trip we met three paddlers (two before we started and one during the last hour of our trip). We also encountered fishing boats- perhaps three on Wabakimi Lake and one on Oliver Lake and one at the top end of Caribou Lake. We did paddle past a number of outposts and lodges but most seemed very quiet, if not empty. If you're looking for trip ideas for next summer then our trip report should help you visualize a fantastic 10 to 14 day paddle into the heart of Wabakimi Provincial Park.

http://albinger.me/2010/09/29/2010-waba ... -universe/

Last edited by true_north on March 5th, 2012, 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: October 13th, 2010, 6:18 pm 

looks like an amazing trip.

PostPosted: October 13th, 2010, 7:26 pm 

Nicely done! I gotta get out there next year!

PostPosted: October 13th, 2010, 8:54 pm 

Thank you for the Wabakimi Project recognition in your trip report and the additional link to our website. I am glad your trip was a success. I recognize many of the pictures especially the one of the broken paddle on the Allen Water River. I took the same! Not sure what happened there.

Glad to have helped with the map information. Its what we do!

Barry

"Preservation of our waterways comes from those with little voices, big paddles, strong backs, weak minds and thick hides with which to ignore the bug bites." Organizer of "The Wabakimi Project"

PostPosted: October 23rd, 2010, 12:33 pm 

Hello true_north: Great report! Wabakimi looks like a canoeing paradise.

take care,
Cousin Pete

"Tradition means giving votes to the most obscure of all classes, our ancestors. It is the democracy of the dead. Tradition refuses to submit to that arrogant oligarchy who merely happen to be walking around." - G.K. Chesterton, Orthodoxy, 1908

PostPosted: October 29th, 2010, 2:26 pm 

very thorough report...so good im making plans now for next year..
via rail runs a promotion in the spring for 50% off trips so getting to allanwater would be as economical as driving.

PostPosted: October 29th, 2010, 3:08 pm 

Gunnelbob:
Via Rail is a great deal for travelling seniors... 1/2 price.So it is pretty reasonable to train it to Allanwater etc. with your canoe and gear from Toronto, if you are willing to portage your canoe down Front Street to Union Station.
If not,then start from Sudbury Junction or Capreol and park for free. Still a good deal.

PostPosted: October 29th, 2010, 11:14 pm 

amzing photos it was a great trip to hear about. i explored greyson and whitewater lake[best island] in the 50's. i knew wendell beckwith and first met him in cable, wisconsin with my uncle lynn marshall. the overall terrain gives an appearance of
a little less tree and plant growth. i know the area has an occasion forest fire, friends i knew were in the area in 1999
and said the area had severe blowdowns in some sections.
thanks for your report. michael camp

i have been a member since october 8, 2008 and only missed five days during that time.  however, my log in data is never accurate. not sure why...but my password is secure already as far as i'm concerned. if i need to change email mr i don't why i do...its 10-03-13 i am concerned my info says 2 yrs and 2 mos. on this site when I've been here since 10/08/2008.

I've expressed this before with no compliance.....HELP1

PostPosted: October 31st, 2010, 8:09 am 

True North, thanks also for the plugs on the Kokanie TR. Turtl has always done a lot of work in prepping the maps for our trips and then compiling the the TRs when we get back. Your TR was excellent and makes me think about going back to try the top route through ogoki. Turtl and I did our trip early in june and encountered vastly different water levels, some of the cl 1-2 you mention were more like 3-4-5 for us. We ended up paddling the top section of the sturgeon falls portage and then paddling the bottom rapids backwards in crazy 3-4 ft waves. What an experience, but certainly back on the list for a repeat.