View topic - Canoeing The French From Top To Bottom: Logistics, Maps, etc

It is currently December 14th, 2019, 2:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: July 23rd, 2019, 9:22 am 

If you’ve been considering a canoe trip down the entire length of the historic French River, this post I 've just uploaded may give your planning a kickstart! In mid-June my bro Martin and I spent eleven days - five on the Upper French from Lake Nipissing to Highway 69 - and then six on the Lower French - the Gorge and Delta sections.

A trip with a variety of scenery (much in the wow category), some memorable campsites, the echoes of Canada’s Indigenous and voyageur past to listen to as you paddle along - it is amazing to think this is available less than four hundred kilometers north of southern Ontario. Click on the title below to access the post -

Canoeing The French River From Top To Bottom: Intro., Logistics, Planning, and Maps

Coming soon are the day-by-day posts with more details, maps and info on specific campsites, rapids, portages, etc.

PostPosted: July 23rd, 2019, 9:58 am 

Very Nice!
Thanks for taking the time and sharing.
The French River has been in my backyard for years but have never really appreciated it for canoeing until fairly recently.
We have a cottage in Georgian Bay and have done numerous fishing trips/overnight camping on the mouth of the French and Pickerel Rivers, the Bustards etc. But no significant canoeing- even after the creation of the Park the French was just something you crossed on your way to Killarney and canoeing!

In the last couple of years I've done a couple of day trips up and down the French but am now feeling inspired to give it a real go.

Thanks again.
Bruce

PostPosted: July 23rd, 2019, 12:24 pm 

That's the exact trip that I'm now planning to do next season.
Big time thanks for doing all of the logistics for me.
Very much appreciated.
Cheers Ted

PostPosted: July 24th, 2019, 8:00 pm 

Pook, I know all about not seeing the posibiities of the French! Having grown up in the Abitibi in NW Quebec, well into my fifties I thought of anything south of Temagami as cottage country and usually paddled in the other direction down to James Bay! It was only four years ago and a four-day trip around Philip Edward Island that I found out what I was missing! The entire NE corner of Georgian Bay is a paddler's dreamspace and the ultimate eye candy.

Ted, glad to be of help! Without a doubt the extensive list of trip reports and images found at your parkerclan website has done the same for some other paddlers over the years. The Thelon was one of the ones I clicked on - if I ever make a bucket list, the Thelon will be on it!