View topic - 5 Lined Skinks in Puzzle Lake PP

It is currently August 15th, 2020, 12:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: August 10th, 2020, 7:02 am 

I just did a quick 1 nighter in Puzzle Lake PP. Park is busy and sites are taken by 5pm Friday on Gull/Little Gull/Puzzle and most of the time, Loyst. The portage from Loyst to Mud and Mud to Norway obviously separate the men from the boys and women from the girls. The portage out of Mud to Norway requires you to snake through a 2 foot wide channel meandering through high marshy reeds and makes navigation slow going, standing up to scout helps. There is a tiny piece of flagging tape marking the entrance to the snaking channel on the left side of Mud. Once you get to shore, the portage is less than 100 metres over a berm and the put-in is back in lillypad covered wetland on the south-east side of Norway. I discovered to my dismay that there are 2 campsites on the very southern end of Norway that are accessible by road and there were 2 groups on the 2 sites and they said they had walked about 5k from their car to get there. I continued up and East to portage into Bear Lake, which is in my opinion the most beautiful lake in the park. Last year when I was there, I found a wonderful red and orange salamander and this year on my campsite there was a 5 Lined Skink! I reported to the MNR and they asked for more info. On Saturday morning, I bushwacked down into Wheeler Lake, it was tough going, I had to push my way through choked-up marshes and wetlands, hike through dense bush and then follow the huge power line East some ways before hooking south down through more wetlands to get to Wheeler. Wheeler lake is very beautiful, has several spots for sites (I did not stay there) and a lot of nice quartz. I swam around, ate lunch and did some filming before returning back to Bear. I saw a great big Doe leaping through the forest when I disturbed her. Leopard frogs everywhere. Puzzle Lake is a wonderful spot, for the less adventurous the 2 sites on Loyst are very nice and there looks to be some great jumping rocks on Puzzle right before you portage into Loyst. A great spot for anyone!!

PostPosted: August 11th, 2020, 10:06 am 

Thanks for posting!