View topic - David Lake - Algonquin Aug/2021

It is currently September 21st, 2021, 6:52 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: August 11th, 2021, 9:00 am 

Apologies for the lack of pictures, but this post is mostly a warning to stay away from David Lake for the time being.

So the original plan was to head in with some friends and their kids to stay 3 nights on David Lake - at the island site.

We knew that they only issued one permit for the lake, so when we got the reservation months ago, everything was looking great. At the check-in they told us that the island site was closed for rejuvenation, so we would have to stay on the other site on the lake. As we had never been before, we decided to chance it - big mistake.

The mainland site on David Lake is terrible. Almost uninhabitable terrible. The put in is dangerous with dead heads everywhere, hardly any solid ground to stand on, and ankle deep mud if you decided for a wet landing. There's basically 1 tent pad on which you can cram two tents if needed, but I see this as mostly a storm site, not something you want to stay at for three nights. The tent pads are too close to the fire pit (with the rain we had there wasn't going to be a fire anyway). It was obvious that the site saw little use and hadn't really been maintained. The trail to the thunderbox was overgrown, and someone has left rusty springs (almost like mattress springs or something) in a bunch of places which make for a stepping hazard.
The site is south facing, but gets no sun light, and with the overgrowth it gets no wind, so coupled with the swampy conditions make it a haven for skeeters and flies.

Instead of the 3 nights we had planned, we left after one. Being rule followers, we didn't want to use the island site, and weren't going to camp off-permit anywhere else. I recommended at the Kearney office that they close the lake as my guess is that people who have been on David even after the closing of the island site, just use the island anyway which defeats the purpose. The office staff told me they were looking at putting a new site on David, but took my criticism well and refunded me the unused nights.

So long story short - if you have booked, or are planning to book David Lake in Algonquin because you think you can stay at the island, think again. I would highly recommend re-booking for Ralph Bice or going further into Mubwayaka - which some people we spoke with on the way out, said had some great sites.

PostPosted: August 11th, 2021, 9:40 am 

what did you guys have for dinner that night?

PostPosted: August 13th, 2021, 8:11 am 

remogami wrote:
what did you guys have for dinner that night?

Pan fried smokies and veggies.

PostPosted: August 13th, 2021, 8:21 am 

sounds tasty.
always a risk on small lakes with bigger groups unless you know the place.
have you camped on that island before?
thanks for sharing the notice with everyone