View topic - Beaver River, Bonnyville to Ardmore

It is currently August 21st, 2019, 1:01 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: March 31st, 2015, 10:15 am 

Beaver River Trip Report

Put in: Along Highway 41, north of Bonnyville

Take out: Along Highway 892, north of Ardmore

The drive between the put in and take out points was about 30 minutes or so. Both spots were fairly easily accessible for paddlers with boat launch areas at both highways.

My family heads up to Moose Lake every Labour Day weekend, so I made the decision beforehand to do some river paddling while in the Bonnyville/Cold Lake area. The Cold River is a route I was thinking of doing, but after reading a few trip reports indicating how it is non-stop rapids for most of the run I started looking for something a little less strenuous.

I wasn’t really sure what to expect with the Beaver River, but I had found a few very short descriptions here and there on the internet, including one post that called it a nice family run, so I suspected it would be fairly easy, especially in the fall.

We started later in the afternoon than I originally wanted, especially since I suspected the water would be low and slow, finally launching around 2 or 3 pm. The water was pretty flat and calm, with no significant rapids to mention. There were a few low spots here and there where we got stuck in sand bars and had to walk the canoe to deeper waters.

The weather was nice for most of the trip, aside from a small storm that found us about halfway through and soaked our clothes. But once the wet passed the sun was out again, making for a very pleasant late-afternoon trip.

All in all the trip took about 6 hours with us landing sometime between 8 and 9 pm. Any longer and we would have been paddling in the dark, so I’m happy we finished when we did. This was a nice relaxing run with not much thinking needed and would be a good run for families or folks just looking to float down the river on a hot afternoon. I’d really like to try the run in the spring or early summer and see how much faster the river flows.

Attachments:
canoe2.JPG
canoe2.JPG [ 131.81 KiB | Viewed 1593 times ]
canoe1.JPG
canoe1.JPG [ 117.38 KiB | Viewed 1593 times ]

PostPosted: April 9th, 2015, 1:41 pm 

Nice photos, thanks for sharing.

Paddle On Folks