View topic - Canoe Needed!! - Saskatchewan Centennial Canoe Quest

It is currently April 1st, 2020, 7:31 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: March 9th, 2005, 7:11 pm 

Wanted: one cheap or free Voyageur canoe. We want to participate in the pageant/race, but can't find a boat. (And can't afford to buy one new) Race runs this June 18th - July 4th, on Northern Saskatchewan's beautiful Churchill and Sturgeon Weir Rivers.

http://www.saskatchewancentennialcanoequest.info/

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 11th, 2005, 11:00 am 

Vern - there is a replica canoe builder in Chicago. His name is Ralph Freeze. He is well renown and has built replicas of all dimensions for historical paddles and historical facilities. He builds out of fibreglass.
I am not sure if Ralph has a canoe with the proper dimensions in his yard but he may be very interested in helping you get this together.
I don't have Ralph's direct email address but his website is - www.chicagolandcanoebase.com
It's quite possible if you paid the freight (assuming he has the right canoe on hand) he would lend you the boat. Or he may be able to direct you to somebody who could help.
He is quite the voyager and has particiapted in many re-inactments in Canada and the states.
howard

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 16th, 2005, 5:43 pm 

Vern,

We were in contact with the St. Johns School of Alberta in Edmonton when looking for a boat to rent - they have boats that meet the specs to rent and may be able to also help with shipping as they will be tripping in northern Sk during the race, especially seeing there may be other renters needing them shipped. I'm not sure if they still have boats available, but it may be worth a try. Email me for the contact name and number if you are interested.

Cheers, Laurel

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 5th, 2005, 11:10 pm 

Thanks all for your help. Still no boat secured, but we are talking with St Johns, as well as Lakeland College.