View topic - Map for Otter Lake to Nistowiak Falls on Churchill River

It is currently June 30th, 2022, 5:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: August 31st, 2006, 3:40 pm 

FYI,
Yesterday I headed to the local Sask Environment office to pick up some topo maps for my upcoming long-weekend paddle on Mountain Lake (put-in at Stanley Mission and head over to Twin Falls, Robertson Falls, North Falls and hang out & fish for a couple of days). I found out that they are selling a composite topo-like map of a portion of the Churchill River spanning from Otter Rapids to Nistowiak Lake*. The map is 1:50,000 black & white and is one large sheet. I don't have it in front of me, but it's about 30" x 36". The cost is $6. I would suggest that for the price, this is a very handy map for anybody travelling this area and certainly beats the heck out of the photocopied maps I've cobbled together in the past of the same area. I believe it encompasses what would normally be spread across 4 1:50000 topo map sheets.

Now I just have to see if the Thompson's Waterseal method of treating my map is all that Cliff Jacobsen says it's cracked up to be.

Cheers,
Bryan

*edited to correct the region that the map covers.

Last edited by pawistik on September 18th, 2006, 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 1st, 2006, 1:50 pm 

I had a much closer look at my new map last night as I transferred the locations of campsites, pictographs, etc. onto the sheet and as a result, I have a couple more important points to mention.

The map is not as topo-like as I had earlier suggested. Most importantly to the paddler, it lacks grid lines & the grid numbers. This means it will be impossible to relate locations given as a grid reference number (such as those provided in Laurel Archer's book) to this map, without going first to a proper NTS topo map to find the spot. It also means that it would be difficult to take an accurate bearing reading from this map since there is little to align with. Of perhaps lesser significance to the average canoeist in this area, the map also lacks any topographic lines.

In light of this, I still believe that the map has some use to the paddler, but perhaps as an addition to proper NTS topographic maps of the region rather than as the primary map. If you're like me and my wife, we each like to have our own map to look at and like to provide one for each boat we're paddling with. I still feel this map is very good for that, and as it covers an area normally spread across several maps, it is very handy for seeing a broad area and when paddling off of on sheet and onto another.

Cheers,
Bryan

Last edited by pawistik on September 18th, 2006, 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: map
PostPosted: September 17th, 2006, 11:43 am 

Can you provide an email address or phone number of where to obtain the map? Thanks

Post subject: Re: map
PostPosted: September 18th, 2006, 11:59 am 

Shane wrote:
Can you provide an email address or phone number of where to obtain the map? Thanks

Shane,

I picked it up at my local Sask Environment office in Saskatoon (112 Research Drive) which happens to be a couple of blocks from my office. The number there is 306-933-6240. If you are from elsewhere in the province, try your local Sask Env office. If you are not from Saskatchewan, you might try the Sask Environment toll free general enquiries number at 1-800-567-4224. The map you are looking for encompasses the northern portion of Lac LaRonge Provincial Park. If you have trouble trying to track it down by phone, PM me and I'll see if I can help.

Good Luck,
Bryan