View topic - Saskachewan River Guide book

It is currently January 18th, 2021, 3:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: April 24th, 2007, 11:14 pm 

I'm looking for a good river guide book from where the North and South Sask meet to at least Cumberlad house. The book I bough in Alberta only shows the North Sask river I need more.

Title and author......Anyone.......

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 25th, 2007, 9:18 am 

Skanke8

I was looking for Canoe SK's website http://www.lights.com/waterways/index.html
but it seems to be down,
They may have info.
Kind of wierd though as I get redirected to a lighting website which is part of the address for the canoe website hmmmm
:doh:
Hugh

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
M.T.

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 25th, 2007, 9:36 am 

Try here.

http://www.canoesaskatchewan.rkc.ca/

-jmc

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 25th, 2007, 12:54 pm 

Hugh wrote:
Skanke8

I was looking for Canoe SK's website http://www.lights.com/waterways/index.html
but it seems to be down,
They may have info.
Kind of wierd though as I get redirected to a lighting website which is part of the address for the canoe website hmmmm
:doh:
Hugh

Hi Hugh,
jmc has it right. The old lights.com site is now at http://www.canoesaskatchewan.rkc.ca/ and the lights.com domain now presumably belongs to someone else, nothing to do with paddling as you noticed.

At that web site you'll find a booklet which covers the section of river beyond "the forks".
Cheers,
Bryan

PostPosted: May 14th, 2007, 6:19 pm 

Skanke8 referred to a guide to the N. Saskatchewan R. I'm wondering where I can get one. I'm especially interested in the N. and S. Sask. Rivers above the Forks. Any help would be appreciated.
Jaybee

PostPosted: May 14th, 2007, 10:59 pm 

jaybee wrote:
.... I'm especially interested in the N. and S. Sask. Rivers above the Forks.

For the South Saskatchewan River from Diefenbaker Lake to The Forks, I highly recommend the publication:
South Saskatchewan EcoCanoe Guide. I believe it was published by the Meewasin Valley Authority although various agencies are listed on the back as contributors and no year is listed (I've had my copy about 10 years). In order to find a copy, I suggest you contact the Meewasin Valley Authority (http://www.meewasin.com/). I think this package is out of print which is a shame as it was really well done. The river along the stretch of river included is broken into 14 segments, each done as it's own map so that you only have to take along the appropriate pages for the particular sections you are doing.

There is a book which covers the North Saskatchewan River from the source, the Saskatchewan Glacier all the way to the forks:

North Saskatchewan Watershed Alliance. 2002. North Saskatchewan River Guide, Mountain to Prairie A Living Landscape.

I can't speak as strongly in favour of the latter book, as it pales in comparison to the South Saskatchewan guide with respect to detail (in various aspects including cultural significance, history, geography) but in all fairness, does cover a much longer distance of river.

I hope this helps.
Cheers,
Bryan

PostPosted: January 12th, 2009, 12:41 pm 

Is there an update on the South Saskatchewan EcoCanoe Guide recommended by pawistik?
The latest I know is at http://pawistik.blogspot.com/2008/05/so ... -tour.html
Yours in paddling, Allan

A literal mind is a little mind. If it's not worth doing to excess, it's not worth doing at all. Good enough isn't.  None are so blind as those who choose not to see. (AJ)

PostPosted: January 12th, 2009, 1:14 pm 

Phooey; ignore the previous post.
Great news! All 14 segments are available at http://www.meewasin.com/common/pdfs/fac ... %20map.pdf
Many thanks to Bryan!
Yours in paddling, Allan

A literal mind is a little mind. If it's not worth doing to excess, it's not worth doing at all. Good enough isn't.  None are so blind as those who choose not to see. (AJ)

PostPosted: January 12th, 2009, 3:47 pm 

Hi Allan,
They fooled me too. On the MVA web site it says "South Saskatchewan River Ecocanoe Tour Map Guide from Gardner [sic] Dam to Outlook." However, as you point out the pdf linked contains the entire section from Gardiner Dam to The Forks. I pointed out the error to them and asked them to correct it. When I walked across the bridge an hour ago it was frozen for about 3/4 of it's width. At -21C plus a wind it would be a chilly day for paddling!
Cheers,
Bryan

PostPosted: January 12th, 2009, 3:58 pm 

By the way, back in June of 08 I checked on the costs to get the South Saskatchewan River Ecocanoe guide maps printed in colour on 11x17 paper. To have all 26 pages printed, it would cost about $25 and up. :o

PostPosted: January 13th, 2009, 9:21 am 

It's a really impressive job, a major achievement.
My only beef is that I can't find a way to print individual pages.
What with the price of ink cartridges, this is an important consideration for people who want to paddle a segment or two.
Yours in paddling, Allan

PostPosted: January 13th, 2009, 10:04 am 

Allan Jacobs wrote:
It's a really impressive job, a major achievement.
My only beef is that I can't find a way to print individual pages.
What with the price of ink cartridges, this is an important consideration for people who want to paddle a segment or two.
Yours in paddling, Allan

it's a pdf
just change the print setting from All to Current page

PostPosted: January 13th, 2009, 10:12 am 

Right!
I was using the printer icon on the "..... Page Tools" line, rather than the icon on the far left on the line below.
Thanks! See you at WCS 2009.
Yours in paddling, Allan

PostPosted: January 13th, 2009, 11:42 am 

I found things to work better for me to save the pdf first to my computer (Save link as...) before trying to do much with it. It's a large file and you may find it works better when it has been saved locally.

I was just reminded of another resource. Edmonton kayaker Robert Pruden has paddled the river solo for almost it's entire length from near it's source just above Athabasca Falls (that's a story in itself) to Grand Rapids, Manitoba. Reports of his adventures can be found on Nessmuking.com including the story from this past summer when he paddled from Borden to Grand Rapids. I had hoped to paddle with Robert for a day last summer as he began his journey at Borden and I regret missing that opportunity.

Robert's stories may be of interest to any paddler.

Cheers,
Bryan