View topic - Where is everyone!

It is currently April 1st, 2020, 6:02 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 25th, 2003, 1:15 pm 

Yeah, the Canoe Saskatchewan forum is kinda hurting. Not many people post there, and even fewer reply to messages. CCR is much more entertaining.

robpw

PostPosted: September 25th, 2003, 6:52 pm 
Paddlenorth:

Would you kindly just clarify your remark about judging route difficulty. I have Marchildon & Robinsons book on the Churchill. When you said you didn't trust the route difficulty evaluations, I presume you just mean that each judgement is subjective, and based upon the skill experience of the speaker? You are not conveying that you always found that rapids or conditions were always easier, or more difficult than described? Right?
Sludge

Post subject: sludge
PostPosted: September 25th, 2003, 7:04 pm 

hey sludge

you a sask canoer?

robpw

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 25th, 2003, 7:29 pm 
Rob:
I wish. Nope, born and raised in Vancouver. I've gone nowhere in life: I'm still here. Right now, I am busy reading Greg and Sid's Big Adventure. Just before that, Max Finkelstein's book. I am trying to orchestrate a 2 week trip to Sask next August for a little water play. We live in hope.

Sludge

Post subject: finkelstein
PostPosted: September 25th, 2003, 9:00 pm 

sludge

well, i'm sure you'll pull it off. As for Greg and Sid's book, sometimes their classification and advice of rapids is a bit on the conservative side. Of course, better on that side of the river than the other. I'd say depending on your whitewater skills, you may end up running a lot of the rapids that Greg and Sid advise a carry. But I give a lot of credit to them, its hard to estimate what some of those rapids are gonna be like from year to year.

You mentioned Max Finkelstein's book? Is that on the Churchill? I'm not sure I've heard of it. Title?

robpw

Post subject: Max Finkelstein
PostPosted: September 25th, 2003, 10:59 pm 
Rob:

The title is: Canoeing a Continent: on the trail of Alexander Mackenzie by Max Finkelstein. Good little read about the amazing accomplishments of voyageurs and Alexander's little trip, but through the eyes of a lone canoer crossing most of the country. He retraced the journey, mostly alone. Quite a little saga. So yes, Max clearly passed through Sask. My copy is currently out, but I will send it to you if you don't first find it elsewhere. I am certain its available through Canadian Recreational Canoeing Assn. bookstore at www.paddlingcanada.com.

Cheers. Sludge

Post subject: a quick survey
PostPosted: October 22nd, 2003, 9:11 pm 

So, I was just doin a quick survey of the SK area, and it looks to me like there's really only 4 people who post on myccr who are from Saskatchewan. Can anyone confirm this? Richard? If so, I think we may have to sign a few more saskies up.

robpw

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 23rd, 2003, 2:28 pm 
Rob:

Yea, and maybe push Ric and a couple of other outfitters to post brief reports on current conditions.

Post subject: paddlers
PostPosted: October 23rd, 2003, 11:37 pm 

yeah, well, i know there's a lot of paddlers in SK, just not many seem to hang out here. How about that layman fella, i mean he's featured on richard's website.

How about you sludge? are you SKie?>

rob

Post subject: Sludge in Hope
PostPosted: October 23rd, 2003, 11:42 pm 

So Sludge, The BC forum has got to be almost as weak as Sask's - though it's arguable that that is because there is virtually no wilderness paddling near BC's population centres - but I don't recognize your name from BC postings . . .

P.

Post subject: yup
PostPosted: October 23rd, 2003, 11:55 pm 

almost, but not quite.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 24th, 2003, 5:36 pm 
yea, well, I hang around the edges on occasion, but I don't live online. Don't really know why the B.C. Forum hasn't filled up with more substantive content, but sense it is because kayakers don't turn to it. On the coast, "paddlers" are often first assumed to be kayakers, until you make it clear.

sludge

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 9th, 2003, 3:10 am 

i think we should all get tatoos that say

MYCCR SASK ROCKS

anyone else feel this way too?

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 9th, 2003, 7:22 pm 

Ooooh yeah, I'm gonna name my firstborn after Richard, also.

Post subject: Re: finkelstein
PostPosted: December 10th, 2003, 12:53 am 

robpw wrote

"You mentioned Max Finkelstein's book? Is that on the Churchill? I'm not sure I've heard of it. Title?"

Hey Rob,

We met Max on our way through Ottawa and spent an afternoon looking through maps with him. We've got a copy of his book, but it's currently on loan in Winnipeg. You can borrow it if we ever retrieve it.

Naptrel.