View topic - Peter Whitehead

It is currently December 11th, 2019, 3:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Peter Whitehead
PostPosted: September 18th, 2017, 12:08 pm 

Hi folks,
Peter Whitehead, a pillar in the paddling community, has passed away. Peter was founder of Churchill River Canoe Outfitters and was a major contributor to the Saskatchewan Documented Canoe Routes booklets that so many of us have benefited from over the years. Peter was also Chief Voyageur for Saskatchewan's team in the 1967 Centennial Voyageur Canoe Pageant.

Peter's obituary can be found here: http://speersfuneralchapel.com/tribute/ ... bute-start

Peter's activities on the water and on the snow through nordic skiing have created a fine legacy for outdoorspeople in Saskatchewan and beyond.

Cheers,
Bryan

Post subject: Re: Peter Whitehead
PostPosted: September 18th, 2017, 10:35 pm 

Thanks for sharing.

Post subject: Re: Peter Whitehead
PostPosted: September 20th, 2017, 1:22 pm 

Ric Driediger posted this on the CRCO facebook page today:
Quote:
Peter Whitehead
This past week marks the passing of Peter Whitehead. All of us in the canoeing world of Saskatchewan have benefited greatly from the legacy left by Peter Whitehead. From the time he immigrated to Canada from England in the mid-fifties, Peter has demonstrated his love of the outdoors and more specifically his love of canoeing. In the late fifties and sixties, he helped document and map many of the canoe routes that are still being enjoyed by thousands of paddlers today. During the years he managed Churchill River Canoe Outfitters in the late sixties and early seventies, he put the ‘Canoe’ into Churchill River Canoe Outfitters. Before he became involved in this business, it was called Pawistik Lodge. You can still find that name on some of the old doors around the place. In 1974, Peter created a film called ‘Canoeing the Churchill’. In this film he, his wife Renee and his daughters, Shelley and Sandra, go on a canoe trip on the Churchill River. This film shows Peter’s love of canoeing and his love of the land, as he and Renee introduce their daughters to this amazing river. Peter’s contribution to recreational canoeing in this province is huge.

Several years ago, Peter stopped into my office here in Missinipe. He announced that he was going to create a hiking train that went from Otter Rapids to the Devil Lake Campsite. Throughout that summer he stopped in many times to report on his progress in creating this trail. He worked incredibly hard. He continued to say: “The Churchill has given me so much. I want to give something back.” I have hiked this trail many times with groups. I’ve sent many of my clients on this trail. It is very scenic, with some beautiful views of Devil Lake and the channel above Otter Rapids. Peter, you certainly did give something very special back. This summer, on July 16, a huge plow wind devastated Peter’s trail. There are so many trees down that the trail is impossible to walk. There is a group, led by Geoff Horn of Regina, looking for volunteers and some funding to clear this trail. Contact Geoff at psgeoff@sasktel.net if you are interested. I believe this trail should be renamed in honour of Peter Whitehead’s memory.

In my involvements with Churchill River Canoe Outfitters and my involvements with Saskatchewan’s canoeing community, I consider it a great honour to be able to stand on the shoulders of incredible people like Peter Whitehead. I am proud to have known him. I am proud to be able to keep his memory alive in Saskatchewan’s canoeing world.

Ric

https://www.facebook.com/ChurchillRiver ... 4253227312