View topic - 6 Portages Route for Next Summer

It is currently January 18th, 2021, 1:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: November 12th, 2008, 2:56 pm 

Next summer, we are seriously considering a trip in the Churchill River - Missinipe region of Northern Saskatchewan and are thinking of starting out with the 6-Portages route.

Can anyone speak as to how travelled this route is, say during mid-August. I don't mind seeing an occasional canoe, but I would not really want to be battling with hordes of other canoers for camp spots at night.

cheers
Dave

PostPosted: November 12th, 2008, 3:10 pm 

Hi ice-breaker -

I did that trip in early September a few years back, and saw no one between Nemieben and the Churchill.

If you go back a bit in the Saskatchewan Route Forum, you'll find a thread titled "Canoe Route 16". Poster "lbeski" did that route in early August. He didn't mention in his post seeing many others: his e-mail is in the thread, perhaps you could contact him for more details?

In any event, unless you are paddling (1) the whitewater around Barker Lake, (2) the French - Ducker loop, or (3) Missinipe to Stanley Mission, I don't think running into "hordes" should be a problem.

You might also contact Ric Driedeger at Churchill River Canoe Outfitters for a truly expert opinion.

http://www.churchillrivercanoe.com/index.htm

regards,

jmc

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 24th, 2009, 11:03 pm 

We did the 6 portages route in August of 2003. During a 19 day trip from Nemieben to Pinehouse and return via the 6 portages route. During the entire trip we met one party of canoers, and they were in the middle of the 6 portages.

My feelings are that it is unlikely that you will meet many other paddlers as it is just outside the range of 'regular' trips centred around Missinipe.

Of course, your year might be the one where everyone hopes to experience Big Jack Pine, Little Jack Pine, Steep Hill, Out of Breath, Frog and Muddy portages!

PostPosted: March 25th, 2009, 8:37 am 

thanks Grey Owl. Not sure yet which week we are going or the exact numbers in our party, but the trip is definitely a go for August this year.

Quote:
Of course, your year might be the one where everyone hopes to experience Big Jack Pine, Little Jack Pine, Steep Hill, Out of Breath, Frog and Muddy portages!

I assume those are the names of the ports. I have not seen mention of those in the information I have. Where do they come from?

regards
dave

PostPosted: March 25th, 2009, 9:48 am 

I have seen those portage names referenced in Marchildon and Robinson's tremendous guidebook, "Canoeing the Churchill"

http://www.amazon.ca/Canoeing-Churchill ... 338&sr=8-3

Best canoeing guidebook ever.

-jmc

PostPosted: May 8th, 2009, 5:47 pm 

Just looking over my maps for the Churchill River and planning routes.

Does anyone know if there is an advantage to taking the northern route around Wanahichewan Island from Trout Lake to Nipew Lake (i.e. through Stack Lake and Mountney Lake), rather than taking the southern route (through Crew Lake and Torranee Lake)?

regards
dave

PostPosted: May 8th, 2009, 6:35 pm 

Hi ice-breaker -

I have been around both sides of the island. Both are good routes and I don't really see an advantage to either.

The northern route was the traditional "voyageur" route and the route Sigurd Olson describes in his book "the Lonely Land". I think it would work better going upstream.

I travelled from a campsite in the south end of Trout Lake to one in the west end of Nipew Lake in one day on both routes, so I don't think there is a big difference in travel time. Looking at my logs, I recorded 26 km with 2 portages on the northern route, and 24 km with 3 portages on the southern one.

If you might be interested in those more detailed travel logs, send me a PM.

Regards,

jmc

PostPosted: May 9th, 2009, 8:21 am 

Thanks jmc, I have sent you a PM.
:P :D :)

PostPosted: June 12th, 2009, 9:01 am 

Churchill River Outfitters provided me a quote for $226 (+GST) to provide shuttle services and parking for my vehicle for this trip. The highway distance from Nemeiben Lake put-in to Missinipe is probably about 60-70 km. The service I requested was for me to pick up the shuttle driver in Missinipe and go to the put-in at Nemeben Lake. From there the shuttle driver would drive my vehicle to Missinipe and park my pickup and boat trailer in their lot for about a week.

Am I just out of touch with reality, or does the $226 (+GST) they quoted seem too high.

regards
dave

PostPosted: June 12th, 2009, 10:42 am 

That certainly is a lot of money for driving your vehicle and two hours of work.

Have you tried a cab? Looking on Mysask.com there appear to be a couple of taxi companies based in La Ronge. One of these would likely be able to help you run the shuttle. Not sure that the cost would be any better though.

Is there a taxi based in Missinipe? (I thought there used to be.)

I've had quotes for similar shuttles in the past, but in the end chose to paddle a circuit instead rather than pay the bill. I cannot recall (or find) what those numbers were, but it was enough to dissuade me.

Cheers,
Bryan

PostPosted: June 12th, 2009, 12:28 pm 
CCR Assistant Administrator

Just popping in to say that it is just amazing to me that the Saskatchewan Canoe Routes library is available to paddlers.

http://www.myccr.com/places.htm

Makes me green with envy. Although the government of Ontario makes much use of images of canoeing and kayaking in their advertising, this kind of resource is unheard of here.

Barbara

PostPosted: June 12th, 2009, 1:42 pm 

Ice-breaker -

I just checked the CRCO website and found this information:

Shuttle Prices
$2.75 per km with trailer
$2.55 per km no trailer
minimum fee of $40 per shuttle
Staff time when driving client's vehicle - $20/hour
Trailor rental $10 plus $.25/km.

On that basis, your quote does seem high if you are just being "driven" in your own vehicle, which shouldn't take much more than 2 hours.

Is it possible there is some miscommunication going on, about exactly what services you require? I can't find my records at the moment, but I'm pretty sure my "own vehicle" shuttles last fall were cheaper than your quote.

-jmc

PostPosted: June 12th, 2009, 2:25 pm 

Thanks jmc, I will follow up again with CRCO to determine if there is a misunderstanding. (thanks again for your trip reports)

regards
dave

PostPosted: June 12th, 2009, 3:01 pm 
CCR Assistant Administrator

ice-breaker wrote:
Thanks jmc,........(thanks again for your trip reports)

:D

Wondering if there might be more that might be forthcoming?

*subtle hint...ok, maybe not so subtle*

Barbara

PostPosted: June 12th, 2009, 4:16 pm 

I followed up with CRCO and there was a misunderstanding. Turns out the shuttle would actually be in the $40-$60 range, rather than $226. I guess, I don't have to pawn my first-born after all. :D

p.s. Barbara, I agree that the Sask canoe routes is a wonderful resource and other provinces would do well to follow the Sask. example.

regards
dave