View topic - South Sask. River

It is currently January 18th, 2021, 2:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: South Sask. River
PostPosted: January 20th, 2009, 9:44 pm 

Hello everyone. I am glad I found this site. As u can tell from my username that I am fairly new to canoeing. I have been out on pike lake a couple of times but that is the extent of it. I would like to take a course in the spring to feel a little more comfortable in a canoe. I am planning to do some canoeing on the south saskatchewan river to start. What courses would be recommended to canoe this river? I hear different opinions about it, but would like to hear first hand from someone who has canoed down it. I am from Saskatoon so I would be canoeing around this area.

Post subject: Re: South Sask. River
PostPosted: January 21st, 2009, 7:12 am 

Hello NP

Try this link
Saskatoon Canoe Club - http://saskatooncanoeclub.org

PostPosted: January 21st, 2009, 1:05 pm 

Hello & Welcome New Paddler
Last summer, Zapblam posted a similar question to yours. Read it here: http://www.myccr.com/SectionForums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=30606

The Saskatoon Canoe Club will be holding various lessons come summer. Check with the recreation division director (Wes - contact info is on the website) about the schedule.

I have to do a major and overdue update of the web site and the schedule of lessons should be able to be posted there soon.

Cheers,
Bryan

PostPosted: January 21st, 2009, 8:10 pm 

Hello to all and thanks for the reply's to my message. I am planning to take the basics course in June and this will hopefully be enough skill to canoe the south sask. river. I was also planning to run the same route from the Berry Barn to the Poplar Bluffs and maybe farther. I hope this be a first of many canoe trips as I have taken a large interest in it. Maybe someday a wilderness trip will be in the works, but one step at a time! Also any suggestions on some moving water rivers that are good for beginners when the time comes?
Thanks Kelly

PostPosted: January 23rd, 2009, 1:21 pm 

My wife and I found the Berry Barn run great for beginners like us. We went from Berry to the canoe club dock in stoon. Got friends to drive our minivan from the Berry to the club parking lot. Bought them lunch at the Berry as thanks.

I will probably do that run again, however solo as there will be a newborn this spring. Will need to move seating around and practice solo in my OT Guide first though.

Will be joining the club and hopefully lessons also.