View topic - Road to Stony Rapids

It is currently March 30th, 2020, 8:44 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Road to Stony Rapids
PostPosted: February 7th, 2009, 8:13 am 

Any recent information on the road to Stony Rapids?
Laurel's book makes it look like not such a good idea, at least for the vehicles available to us, but I have third-hand information that it has been improved since then.
And does the road now continue to Fond du Lac? If so, what is its condition?
Thanks, Allan

A literal mind is a little mind. If it's not worth doing to excess, it's not worth doing at all. Good enough isn't.  None are so blind as those who choose not to see. (AJ)

Post subject: Re: Road to Stony Rapids
PostPosted: February 7th, 2009, 10:36 am 

In 2007 we stopped for at look at this road (hwy 905) where it crossed the Waterfound River at about the 50km mark from Points North. From the bridge we had a view of a 3km stretch as it followed the eskers down to the river, over the structure on it's way to Stony Rapids (another 130km).
This short section was in better shape than the road from Missinipe to Points North that we drove in our Toyota at an average speed of 90km/hr.
I think Fond du lac is only accessible by ice road.
We were there for about an hour in the early afternoon and we counted two vehicles heading north and three heading south.

PostPosted: May 6th, 2009, 9:45 pm 

Hey

dont know if anyone will look at this thread, but here goes.

i have heard from some friends in lac brochet (manitoba) that their relatives and friends in stony rapids and black lake often drive south in summer on this road and they didn't think that all of them had 4 wheel drives...can anyone comment on this. i am looking to take a 2 wheel drive truck up that way this summer.

thanks

PostPosted: May 8th, 2009, 12:01 pm 

How about calling Points North and asking them? They are sure to be able to give good advice, being on the road. I suspect the road varies with the conditions (wet, dry, spring, summer). Horizon's Unlimited may also be able to offer road advice suitable for the canoeist.

I have no experience of the road beyond Points North (and precious little up to that point). However, I suspect that 2 wheel drive is sufficient, though perhaps normal tires are not. You may want to upgrade your tires for those with extra plies? Again, I don't know, I'm just speculating. I've driven some northern roads where we had 10-ply tires on a 3/4 ton in order to avoid the dreaded 2-flats. And that reminds me, probably two spares is not a terrible idea.

Bryan

PostPosted: May 8th, 2009, 4:14 pm 

What Bryan said.

We also saw vehicles when we were on the Waterfound. Dusty! Dusty! but the road look in pretty good shape.

J

PostPosted: May 12th, 2009, 1:11 pm 

I've driven up to points north, and seen the road at other places. The locals said it was slow going, but I'd check with Ric at Horizon's Unlimited/churchill river canoe outfitters.

http://www.churchillrivercanoe.com/

PostPosted: May 12th, 2009, 3:03 pm 

I heard a few days ago that the road to Stony isn't open yet.
We decided to ship our stuff to the Trans West base in Stony and get ourselves there on a scheduled flight, not so much out of concern for the road as for lack of a suitable vehicle plus the fact that, on the way back, we'll be paddling the Cochrane-Thlewiaza from Wollaston to Nueltin.
Tents go up on Hale Lake 29 days from now.
:D

A literal mind is a little mind. If it's not worth doing to excess, it's not worth doing at all. Good enough isn't.  None are so blind as those who choose not to see. (AJ)

PostPosted: July 23rd, 2009, 11:42 am 

Well, we switched to the Churchill, which we paddled from Patuanak to just short of Sandy Bay. I'm writing a detailed report which I'll post here or in Routes sometime soon.

For the moment, we got some information on the road to Stony that I'd like to share.
The road is reported to be sandy and very soft, so much so that trucks use balloon tires. For the rest of us, it's 4-wheel drive only.

Yours in paddling, Allan

PostPosted: August 29th, 2009, 1:54 pm 

just got back from baker lake after canoeing from stony rapids to baker via the chipman portage, dubawnt and thelon rivers.

in terms of the road to stony from points north, we drove it in two wheel drive without any problems, though it was dry. it looked like for the most part that it would be alright if it rained as well. it was a hard road, and though it is slow going, it is certainly manageable (6 hours from points north). having said that, we got four flats between 2 vehicles on the way up alone.

in any case, this is a good road access option to get to the barrens. on that note, the chipman portage is an excellent route in very good shape.

PostPosted: September 1st, 2009, 7:53 pm 

Thanks for added information about the Chipman route.

PostPosted: November 9th, 2012, 10:51 pm 

Hey Folks,
I was wondering if anyone has traveled the road to Stony Rapids since '09. I hope that the road has only improved, but I don't want to assume that.

This is my first post on here, and I would like to say thanks to everyone on these boards. Myccr has been a great resource. I have learned so much just from reading.

Henry
http://www.facebook.com/3provincecanoe