View topic - Qu'appelle valley to Winnipeg

It is currently January 18th, 2021, 3:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: February 16th, 2009, 11:08 pm 

I plan on doing the fur trade route from my home in Banff to Montreal. I am wondering about the Qu apple river to Winnipeg. Does this river get me there. Thanks. Also is this route published some where or is it just in sections that I have to find and link together.

Last edited by Anonymous on February 17th, 2009, 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
spelling: Qu'appelle

PostPosted: February 17th, 2009, 8:11 am 

Hello banffmedia

Is this the Southern fur trade route?
Is your planned route - Bow River - South Sask River - Qu'appelle River - Assiniboine River - Winnipeg?
Once you're over the Qu'appelle Valley Dam at the southeast end of Diefenbaker Lake, the Qu'appelle River will take you to the windy Assiniboine River and then into Winnipeg.
Have you looked at the traditonal Northern route?

PostPosted: February 17th, 2009, 8:59 am 

No have not considered the Northern route. Like the idea of seeing more of southern Canada one river bend at a time. Had my share of wilderness though I am sure that the Winnipeg to Thunder Bay is big country. Looks like it on a map.
That is the route I am planning on doing.

PostPosted: February 26th, 2009, 2:43 am 

I think you'll find the Qu'appelle to be low in flow and fairly modified from it's original state. There are lakes along the route that certainly were not there in the days of the fur trade. Dams (such as the one at Elbow on Lake Diefenbaker) may result in a longer period of navigability. I expect, it's do-able in the spring &/or in a wet year. I understand some areas along the Trans-Canada have had a fair bit of snow this year, but I think other areas of the drainage basin have been somewhat dry.

Also, I am neither expert nor historian, but did the fur trade use such a route? I would expect that once into the Saskatchewan system they would have stayed there and followed it's current through to Lake Winnipeg. That region is what the York boat was used for. I have heard of settlers travelling the Qu'appelle and Assiniboine rivers though, even though the vast majority went overland. I had a look in my book "Company of Adventurers" by Peter C. Newman and it's index lists neither of these southern rivers. That of course doesn't mean it didn't happen, or perhaps it just means it wasn't a major route.

OK, I googled it: http://railways-atlas.tapor.ualberta.ca/cocoon/atlas/Maps-2-1-1/. You're right, I'm wrong.

Cheers,
Bryan