View topic - Day trip?

It is currently January 18th, 2021, 3:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Day trip?
PostPosted: May 5th, 2009, 11:54 am 

The North Saskatchewan River from Petrofka Bridge to Fort Carlton?

Post subject: Re: Day trip?
PostPosted: May 5th, 2009, 5:42 pm 

What about it?
From my out-of-date web site. http://www.geocities.com/pawistik/
Quote:
May 22-23, 2005 - North Saskatchewan River
After first planning on doing the Red Deer River, then the Montreal, then the Torch, my wife & I opted to spend the weekend on the North Saskatchewan River. We had originally planned on leaving Saturday morning but my wife wasn't into starting out in the steady rain that persisted most of the day so we put it off until Sunday. Sunday morning we put-in at the regional park north of Langham (~40 km from Saskatoon) and paddled about 40 km downriver, about 8 km past the Petrofka Bridge (Hwy 12 to Blaine Lake). We camped along the shore in the least muddy dry spot we could find. Monday we continued the remaining 30 km to Fort Carlton where my in-law’s were supposed to meet us with our car. Unfortunately there was a mix-up regarding what we thought was pre-arranged to meet at 4 pm at Ft. Carlton unless we call and tell them otherwise. Earlier Monday we hiked up out of the river valley to a hilltop in order to get cell coverage and tried to call just to confirm the time/place for our pick-up but only got a message manager. We eventually arrived at the Ft at 3 pm but when we tried to call them again just got the message machine again. It wasn't until 4:45 that we were starting to wonder where the heck they were that my wife got through to her grandma who told them that they were sitting at our house awaiting our call! Turns out something wasn't working with their cell and the messages weren't being recorded either. Oh well, they found us eventually.

We saw a lot of wildlife on the river, more than I'm accustomed to seeing on the South Saskatchewan River in the area around Saskatoon. There were Pelicans, tons of ducks, lots of geese (and a few goslings), a bald eagle, 4 turkey vultures, an osprey, a variety of hawks, a deer, beaver, muskrats, a coyote, plus countless shore birds, terns, bank swallows, etc. We were in a narrow passage between a couple of islands when we came past a little clump of willows hanging into the river. As we came past the bush we startled a beaver, two ducks and a coyote from exactly the same spot. Either they were having a wildlife association meeting or we spared the ducks from becoming lunch, and spared the beaver from witnessing the event (of course we probably doomed the eggs if there was a nest). At another point we passed some pelicans resting on a sandbar. We stayed a respectful distance of maybe 100 yards or so away across the channel. Once we had drifted past them and were clearly moving away, the 6 pelicans took off then circled around behind and passed in formation a few feet above our heads, maybe 15 feet to our left before heading off down the river ahead of us. It seems they were just as curious about us as we were of them. That certainly is the closest I've been to a pelican in flight before, let alone 6 of them.

The river itself is much muddier than the S. Sask., which is very sandy in this region, and our gear and canoe were all covered in a sticky mud. It wasn't bad on shore but at the water's edge it was a gooey mess and every time we got in the canoe we brought more mud in with us. Having our dog with us made it worse as she’s not too good at washing off her paws before bringing them inboard. At one point I had gotten out of the canoe to go ashore and sunk in mud to within a few inches of my knees. I thought I was going to be stuck permanently but I did manage to free myself after a lengthy struggle.

PostPosted: May 5th, 2009, 5:48 pm 

About 34 km for the stretch you mention, according to the gmap pedometer. http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=2795385

PostPosted: May 5th, 2009, 6:38 pm 

I was looking for the distance. Thanks for that and for the trip report.
So it sounds like an easy days paddle for this time of year?
I know there's a spring on the north bank of the river at the bridge. Did you notice any at river level?
I walked down to the river at Fort Carlton last July and found it hard to draw a breath without inhaling mosquitos. Is the landing evident from the river approach?

PostPosted: May 6th, 2009, 1:51 pm 

Hi,
No, we didn't notice the spring. I don't think we knew to look for it. Perhaps it's mentioned in the guide book we would have had with us: The North Saskatchewan River Guide

Yes, a good distance for an easy day paddle for that stretch.

Regarding the landing, I recall that we were watching very carefully for it so as not to miss it. In the end, I am sure it was easy to see from river right. When you walked down to the river, you may remember seeing that there is some signage on shore. I think there was also a dock on shore, though it had not been placed in the water yet. I also think there was a concrete structure of some sort (perhaps just blocks?), but don't really recall anything specific. Fort Carlton was just past a bend in the river, and in the area there a lot of willows on the flats. We were initially concerned that it would be hidden beyond the willow-choked flats but in actuality it was just beyond that and easy to see.

Cheers,
Bryan