View topic - Montreal River

It is currently January 18th, 2021, 3:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Montreal River
PostPosted: August 17th, 2009, 2:00 pm 

Hi folks,

Rumour has it that the Montreal River is running high. Does anyone have any first-hand knowledge? How long can we expect it to last?

I might be there later this week, but am thinking about it for September long weekend also.

Cheers,
Bryan

Post subject: Re: Montreal River
PostPosted: August 17th, 2009, 3:14 pm 

Found this for Montreal River info:
http://www.princealberttourism.com/index.php?option=com_docman&task=doc_details&gid=129&Itemid=86
(but I'm still looking for current waterflow info)

Down at the bottom click "download" or "view" to see some information on running the Montreal as a day-trip.

Of course the Montreal is also described in Archer's book.

Bryan

PostPosted: August 24th, 2009, 1:23 am 

Hi Folks,
I ran the Montreal River on Friday in a group of 5 experienced paddlers (including our own Kingfisher). I am not sure what the flow rate was (I plan to call Sask Watershed Authority to see if I can put a number on it), but would call the level moderately high. It's probably running at a level similar to the early summer.

The stretch we paddled was between Highway 2 & the bridge on #165, a paddle that took us 4 hours. It was a lot of fun, especially the last third. It wasn't particularly difficult at this water level and there was not a lot of mandatory rock-dodging. At a lower level this stretch would be a lot more "bony" with many shallow rocky stretches.

Cheers,
Bryan

PostPosted: August 24th, 2009, 7:31 am 

Bryan,

Thanks for including me in your group.

Of Highschool Teachers and Scientists and the ensuing conversations, covering Cyborgs, the life expectancy of the next generation, the two types of complicated mites attacking the bee population and agriculture in the Netherlands.

Introducing me to the native Elder with the friendly smile, who took my order for the Bannock Burger at the Trappers Cabin in Duck Lake.

Listening to the all Blues satellite station on the way up
and to Montreal beating the Green Team on the way back.

Having the chance to paddle the last part of the river in the solo boat, what a hoot!

PostPosted: September 1st, 2009, 1:27 am 

An update on the Montreal River level. Last week Thursday I spoke to Martin at the Saskatchewan Watershed Authority. A canoeist himself, Martin was eager to discuss the Montreal River levels and that for other paddling destinations. Martin was able to forward me a graph showing the water level from this summer and gave me permission to share it with the paddling community.

Martin informed me that the river was running at about 25 m3/second, a level that is higher than the average spring peak (the median actually). He also suggested that because of the large size of Montreal Lake which feeds the river, the river should be runnable for some time to come yet.

Barring any mishaps I should be there again this coming Friday. I mention the mishap bit as I cancelled a trip earlier in the summer due to an unforeseen happenstance, and if I had any sense, I would have cancelled my earlier trip on the Montreal after I was rear-ended just 2 days prior. Luckily I have no sense and went anyway, whiplash be damned.
Cheers,
Bryan