View topic - sturgeon weir river up stream travel

It is currently January 18th, 2021, 3:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: March 5th, 2010, 4:04 pm 

hello everyone,
Im looking into doing a canoe trip near pelican narrows. I will be travelling from pelican to attie lake to wildnest lake and then upstream from birch portage on the sturgeon weir river and back to pelican narrows. I plan on taking about 20 days to complete this. My question is does anyone know how difficult it would be to canoe solo up the sturgeon weir river? This as well as any information on this route would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you,
erick kranz

PostPosted: March 8th, 2010, 1:58 pm 

The sturgeon weir is a small river, no powerful big volume monster. There are sections with rapids, which would require tracking, wading, or portaging.

I'd check out the canoe sask site, and see if there is a canoe route booklet on it.

I certainly know people do canoe up it.

PostPosted: March 8th, 2010, 2:42 pm 
CCR Assistant Administrator

Paddle Power wrote:
The sturgeon weir is a small river, no powerful big volume monster. There are sections with rapids, which would require tracking, wading, or portaging.

I'd check out the canoe sask site, and see if there is a canoe route booklet on it.

I certainly know people do canoe up it.

http://canoesaskatchewan.rkc.ca/

PostPosted: March 8th, 2010, 6:36 pm 

Yep, Canoe trip #22 for the first portion of my trip, then canoe trip #13 but im doing it backwards and only up to pellican narrows. Ive read these before and have seen that it does say it can be canoed upriver and has descriptions of portages frow downstreem.
I just dont want to get there and have to hike the 50km highway back to my car because the current is too fast. Just some assurance that i dont need a motor and the best time to go would be nice. thx for your posts keep em comin.

PostPosted: March 8th, 2010, 7:03 pm 

Try posting on the bulletin board for the Saskatoon Canoe Club, you might find someone there who can better tell you. Lotsa folks round here have paddled it downstream (I've done the upper portion). Nobody I know has done it upriver.

You can find the bulletin board here: http://pub33.bravenet.com/forum/2773153075

I can probably also put you in touch with some folks who might know better what to expect. Robin & Arlene Karpan (http://www.parklandpublishing.com/authors.htm) were down the river just ahead of or behind us (I don't recall) and continued on to the lower Sturgeon-Weir. You could see what they think.

Cheers,
Bryan

PostPosted: March 9th, 2010, 12:04 pm 

Erick,

in ´01 we´ve paddled up the Weir from the mouth of the Goose River all the way to Frog Portage. Took us 9 day´s starting at Goose Lake. Lots of wading and lining with paddling in between up to Beaver Lake. As we camped there anyway, Rat Portage was the only carry in that section. Upstream from Beaver Lake it´s a good paddle with only a couple of sections of powerpaddling through swift water. All portages where in good shape. Also waded up Snake Rapids as it would be a long carry otherwise.
Also came down the Sturgeon Weir on two other occasions, once from Pinehouse Lake on the Churchill and another time from Reindeer Lake. The Weir is always a great place to paddle, especially the part from Beaver Lake to Sturgeon Landing!
By the way the short part from Sturgeon Landing to Goose River would be the most thoughest part to ascend!!!

cheer´s
Chris

PostPosted: March 9th, 2010, 5:44 pm 

Hi,
We did almost the same trip a few years ago. We started at the Maligne Lake (Pawistik Lodge) where we left our vehicles.
As you go upstream it is an easy paddle to the portage around Birch Rapids. After that it is again easy until you get to a narrows at (if memory serves me correctly) Ant Island. When we did this it was a high water year so there was quite a bit of current. Of the 3 tandem boats, one was able to paddle up and the other two had to line/wade. The left side (as you go upstream) was lower and was where our boats were lined/waded. Again the water is easy until you get near Dog Portage. As I said, the water was high and the current in the narrows below the small widening in the river where Dog Portage was located was too strong for us to paddle up. The water was also too deep and the shoreline too cluttered to try lining or wading. We decided to cut our own portage about 75 metres to the right of the swift water. This got us past the fast water and we had a short, easy flatwater paddle to the start of Dog Portage. I believe there was some fast water above the portage but all of our boats were able to paddle up this section onto Corneille Lake. My memory is a little hazy but I believe there was a little fast water just above Corneille Portage and I can't recall if we were able to paddle through it or if we waded. This will get you onto Mirond Lake. At the east end of Wunehikan Bay the inflowing stream (which starts at Attitti Lake) has some current which was fairly strong in places but didn't pose too much of a problem for us.
This trip has a lot of variety and we really enjoyed it. Have fun!
Ralph

PostPosted: March 10th, 2010, 10:09 pm 

Awesome! this is all good stuff! so u did the same loop? was it remote? and how long did u take to complete it?

PostPosted: March 11th, 2010, 9:55 pm 

Hipster,
Before I answer your questions, I should tell you that I took a quick look at my maps and I got Dog Portage mixed up with Corneille Portage. Oh how I miss my memory. Anyway, we cut the short portage around the swift water below Corneille Portage, not Dog Portage. Sorry.
We did the same loop exactly but since I don't keep notes, everything is coming from my memory so keep that in mind.
I'm heading off to the Tonquin Valley tomorrow but when I get back, I'll check my maps carefully and give you as much detail as I can remember.
Ralph

PostPosted: March 12th, 2010, 2:34 am 

Great!! i appreciate it alot!

PostPosted: March 15th, 2010, 8:04 pm 

Hipster,
I've emailed you a trip report as it became too long to post.
Ralph

PostPosted: March 16th, 2010, 3:26 pm 

Wow! this is all i need! I very much appreciate it! i see you guys did this trip in about a week? i plan on taking plenty of time to soke it all in. I will be travelling solo so all this information is invaluable. I cant thank u enoug Ralph.