View topic - McLennan Lake, Saskatchewan

It is currently March 30th, 2020, 8:36 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: March 1st, 2011, 1:39 pm 

I thought that I'd advertise for the McLennan Lake, Saskatchewan area. Here's a link to a map of the area:

http://mapper.acme.com/?ll=55.86761,-10 ... nan%20Lake\,%20Saskatchewan&marker1=55.86684,-104.24446,unnamed

It's a lovely area with lots of small to medium sized lakes with short portages in between. The longest portage that I've done in that area is about 400 metres. Most are 200 m or so.

Ric at Horizon's Unlimited/Churchill River Canoe Outfitters has developed some specialized maps of certain areas. These maps usually include parts of several 1:50 000 sheets and he has marked portage routes, etc.
You can get those through the on-line store at :

http://www.churchillrivercanoe.com/

Very few people, too. Give it a try.
Ralph

PostPosted: March 2nd, 2011, 2:57 pm 

I will second Ralph's opinion. This is a really nice canoeing area, and has been my choice for fall trips during the past 15 years.

The area also offers access to routes leading south to the Churchill, east to the Reindeer, and north to wherever you want to go.

Ralph was too modest to point out that the area has become even better in recent years because of the efforts he and the other members of the Edson paddling group have put into portage clearing and re-establishment.

Well done.

-jmc

PostPosted: April 23rd, 2011, 11:01 am 

We have paddled this area for the last 15 years. It is a great beginner's area to complete your first canoe trip. The added benefit is that the McLennan 'loop' can be completed in a number of different ways. However, during the summer the trip can become busier than most. If there are a 10 vehicles in the 'parking' lot (gravel) you will probably see a group our two! My definition of busy is different than most!