View topic - Waterfound/Fond Du Lac

It is currently March 30th, 2020, 8:57 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Waterfound/Fond Du Lac
PostPosted: April 23rd, 2011, 12:47 pm 

Was wondering if anyone has flown from Points North to Waterbury Lake and then flown back out from Stoney Rapids to Points North recently?

I'm curious as to the flight costs for these shuttles for a solo canoeist?

It seemed in 2007 a flight from Points North to Waterbury Lake was about $700. I'd imagine that has gone up over the past few years...

I have contacted Ric from Churchhill River Outfitters and am awaiting a reply...thought I'd see if anyone here has info as well.

If I have missed a post with the above data I must apologize...I've been through them all though I believe and have found no recent data.

Thanks,

Sam

PostPosted: April 23rd, 2011, 1:02 pm 

Osprey Wings flies from Points North - give them a call.

http://www.osprey-wings-air.com/

-jmc

PostPosted: April 23rd, 2011, 5:56 pm 

Sam;
We got a shuttle from Ric who then drove us down the "track to Waterbury lake. It was rough and I doubt if it's any better now.
The flight is really just a flip I'd say 5 minutes from take off to touch down.and you get charged the minimum.
Depending on how you get to Points North and in what type of vehicle (4x4) or high clearance vehicle you could do the Waterbury L thing yourself and perhaps hire someone from PN to drive your vehicle back to the air strip.
We chartered with Osprey, single turbo Otter from Black Lake back to PN and got picked up by shuttle van.
If you're flying a solo <16' you could get your boat inside the plane and perhaps get a reduction.

Hugh

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
M.T.

PostPosted: April 23rd, 2011, 9:00 pm 

Thank you guys!

Thanks Hugh,

Ric got back to me almost right away. Flight from Points North to Waterbury Lake was 600 I believe and from Stoney Rapids to Points North was 1800. That was last year...may go up slightly this year.

I just found out that my north eastern Ontario trip I was planning would cost just as much for a shuttle likely and the wilderness is not nearly as pristine. I believe this trip will be a go for me!

Thanks again!!

PostPosted: April 23rd, 2011, 10:37 pm 

viewtopic.php?f=112&t=25768

PostPosted: April 28th, 2011, 8:18 pm 

You're venturing into an area that holds real interest for me. I worked as a fishing guide for two summers on Waterbury Lake back in 1976 and 1977. The lodge there is owned, I believe, by an ex-guide from the early seventies. I was one of a few guides hired from the city. Most of the guides came from Brochet (Cree) and Lac Brochet (Chipewayan). I've never gone back in any capacity, but I've thought and dreamed about the place and the people for decades. As guides, we explored the Hell's river (flows in to Waterbury Lake) and the Unknown River which flows out to Unknown Lake and the Fond du Lac...I was a guide there when the first reconnaissance expedition in a big high-tech (for that time) raft arrived to take samples and conduct research. They were harbingers of what was to come: gigantic uranium projects, Points North, etc.
I'm now in my fifties and do lots of paddling and tripping, mainly solo. I've nursed the idea of a trip into the region, as I have incredible memories of the country, and would like to canoe down to Unknown Lake and beyond some day.
Anyway, I wish you well on your trip, and would love to hear about how it goes. I've heard the road to Points North is rough and best run in a sturdy pickup or SUV. I'm sure you know that already, though.
Martin

PostPosted: April 29th, 2011, 6:35 pm 

That is most interesting Martin, I hope you make it back there!

Thank you for the kind words, I have been receiving excellent help on this trip. Well...actually I've now changed my destination to the Cree River in June but if time and funds permit I am looking at running the Waterfound and Fond Du Lac rivers in July...I've inquired about flight costs for each trip...the Cree being considerably more expensive but looks too good to pass up.

Sam

PostPosted: June 5th, 2011, 2:06 am 

We did Cree in Y2007 and Waterfound in Y2010; the rivers are among our favorite routes.
Waterfound has, in average, more rugged scenery and better hiking options when camping. Fishing on Waterfound is somewhat better, than on Cree, cause grayling is present all the way from Waterbury Lake to Fond du Lac, while on Cree it is concentrated mainly within two days from Cree lake. Waterfound, however, requires way much more flat water paddling, than Cree. Also, about one day paddling section of Waterfound after lake Durrant is heavily burned last year, several campsites are gone, and bears were pretty active looking for food, although much more shy, than on Cree.
We were lucky to see up close really mature bears on Cree; one of them chased us from the campground after Hawk rapids, other one cruised around our take out point all the time until float plane arrived, another one looked at us from ashore with no sign of panic (from his part), few others just did their usual summer business. Seems that bears are somewhat accustomed to canoeist there. Also, we saw wolfs on Cree, and twice camped near wolf's den, hearing them howling all night.
Do not know why, but I would better repeat Cree, than Waterfound.

PostPosted: June 5th, 2011, 2:46 pm 

Those rivers sound awesome, thank you for the details. I have put the Cree on hold for this year...I cannot justify the near $4000 dollar flight shuttle in and out right now...and for 10 days of paddling at best...a shame because I really look the likes of this river.

The Waterfound and Fond Du Lac may still be a possibility for me this July...was quoted $2700 in and out. I wish flying was cheaper!!! :o