View topic - Sturgeon-Weir at 185 cu m/sec?

It is currently January 18th, 2021, 2:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: August 26th, 2011, 3:00 am 

Hi Folks,
Does anybody have any insight into what the Sturgeon-Weir would look like flowing at around 185 cubic metres per second at Leaf Rapids?

I'm still looking for a trip for next week and the Sturgeon-Weir from the Hanson Lake Road to Amisk Lake meets all the criteria except for that crazy high water level bit. Specifically, our criteria involve travelling a new area, a bit of whitewater but not too crazy or otherwise easily avoided. Occasional Class 2 would be great. A Class 3 along the route to play in would be welcomed by some. Not too many portages because we carry too much stuff and we're lazy. We're leaving Saskatoon Friday at noon and need to be home to our families by Wednesday night. That gives us 4.5 or so paddling days.

I was just re-reading Ralph's report on the upper S-W and that has me thinking once again about that area. I did paddle this stretch in '05 which was another high water year but unfortunately I have no idea what the flow was. I could probably call the Sask Watershed Authority and find out.

Cheers,
Bryan

Last edited by pawistik on August 26th, 2011, 3:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: August 26th, 2011, 3:02 am 

http://www.swa.ca/WaterManagement/StreamFlowsAndLakeLevels.asp?id=95&watershed='Sask%20River%20Watershed'

PostPosted: August 26th, 2011, 5:11 am 

Caveat: I know nothing about this river

But I do like to study water gauge data!

I found some historical data for 1973 - 96, looks like 200+ is VERY high, in that 23 year period it only happened once (Aug '74). Even 100+ is rare, only occurring in 1983 and 1985.

Attachment:
sturgeon-weir.gif

http://www.r-arcticnet.sr.unh.edu/v3.0/ ... P5452.html

Of course the hydrology of every river is different, one might be insane at historical highs while another would just be deeper with more current.

Knowing nothing I dug up this page with some general info.

http://www.kayas.ca/tradetravel/travelr ... river.html
Quote:
Explorer Alexander Mackenzie lists 12 rapids in his journals with such names as the Pente, Bouleau, de l'Isle, d'Epinettes, and three "galets". Because of the river's steep grade it is "an almost continual rapid" according to Mackenzie

The impressions of fur trade era explorers is pretty subjective and often unreliable.

Quote:
The old river still is not kind to those who are not alert or unlucky. Accounts of modern trips usually describe one or two boats that have wrecked on the rocks and been left by their owners, providing a warning to other travelers to beware of the "Riviere Maligne"

The hyperbole from "tourism" websites is often a little over the top as well!

If it were me I might be looking elsewhere.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: August 26th, 2011, 9:40 am 

Like recped, I haven't been there (lately) myself.

However, a couple of expeditions I’ve been following recently travelled on the Sturgeon Weir.

These guys downstream:

http://www.northamericanodyssey.com/pacific-northwest/

And these guys upstream:

http://www.transcaneauda.ca/

Neither blog speaks of any severe problems.

-jmc

PostPosted: August 26th, 2011, 9:45 am 

Last week we´ve returned from our Cree Lake - Mudjatik River trip and crossed the Sturgeon Weir River Bridge at Maligne Lake. Waterlevels were about the same as in 1994 when we´ve paddled down to Sturgeon Landing. Our canoe didn´t fit under the bridge back then because of highwater! But traveling on the Sturgeon Weir twice since then at quite lower waterlevels most rapids were much easier with the highwater. Especially on the lower Weir south of Amisk Lake most rapids are washed out and we´ve wondered where all the rapids have gone. Crooked Rapids and the one at Rat Portage had quite bigger waves tough.
Chris

PostPosted: August 26th, 2011, 10:55 am 

Quote:
Hi Folks,
Does anybody have any insight into what the Sturgeon-Weir would look like flowing at around 185 cubic metres per second at Leaf Rapids?

Hi There,

This is my first time posting, but I feel I have some relevant information for you. We did the Hanson Lake Road to Denare Beach trip the first week in July of this year.

Water levels were also fairly high at that point in time as well. We did not run leaf rapids but we did run snake rapids and we experienced no problems. We scouted leaf to run it, but my partner for the trip was not comfortable running so we elected to portage. I would say that Leaf was definitely runnable at the levels we experienced.

Snake is a tad more difficult to scout (could only really scout the first half of the run). But the space between the two sets that make up the rapid was large enough that we were able select a good path through. I believe we kept River left after the first rapid and had no issues.

Spruce Rapids (Class 3) we elected not to run, it looked above both our skill sets so we portaged it.

Another note if you do travel the same route. The tourism sask info says that there is an optional portage 2km for the mouth of the weir in to muskeg bay. We were unable to find this portage, I'm not sure if it was due to water levels or what, but it was non existent. We ended up lucking out and finding a nice campsite just before the point turning to the north west.

Maybe I should write a trip report? Anyways, if you need more information please feel free to PM. I am a newbie but I will pass on any information I can.

Cheers,

Cory