View topic - McIntyre River?

It is currently March 30th, 2020, 8:30 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: McIntyre River?
PostPosted: June 1st, 2012, 2:13 pm 

Hi -

Anyone out there with any information - first-hand, second-hand, or general observations - on the McIntyre River in northern Saskatchewan?

It rises in Phelps Lake, about 110 km NNE of Points North Landing, and flows (rather indirectly) west, joining the East Porcupine River just above that river's junction with the main Porcupine, just north of Grove Lake.

Comments on the East Porcupine would also be welcomed.

Thanks in advance.
-jmc

Post subject: Re: McIntyre River?
PostPosted: June 2nd, 2012, 9:13 pm 

Years ago 4 of us landed at Nordbye Lake and worked our way from there to the East Porcupine downstream to Pinkham Lake, to the south end of Pinkham where we portaged onto Jervois Creek, down it to the Porcupine, onto the Fond du Lac to finish at Black Lake. I'll pm you with contact info for the trip leader who planned the route.

PostPosted: July 25th, 2012, 11:19 pm 

Update on the McIntyre River;

I wanted to thank rsanderson for his reply, and for putting me in touch with a fellow who had paddled the McIntyre. As a result of this encouragement, I am just back from a very enjoyable 18 day solo trip that included the McIntyre.

I drove to Points North, and flew in to Bentley Lake, just north of Hatchet Lake.
From Bentley I paddled and portaged through Merritt, Obst, and Babiche Lakes, following a route described by rsanderson on CCR, to reach the McIntyre River at Nordbye Lake. From there I followed the McIntyre downstream to its junction with the East Porcupine river, and a few kilometres later joined the main Porcupine River just north of Grove Lake. I followed the Porcupine from there down to the Fond du Lac, then the Fond du Lac to Black Lake. From there I flew back to Points North.

I was especially impressed by the Porcupine – a remarkably beautiful stretch of river that I would recommend highly to anyone looking for a route in northern Saskatchewan. I saw some fishermen on Nordbye who had flown in from Hatchet on day 4, and no one else until my pilot on day 18: it’s a quiet part of the world, as well as a beautiful one.

Without CCR I would have had no way of accessing this information, and might have missed out on a great trip. CCR is truly an amazing resource for canoe route information and paddler contacts.

I hope, eventually, to post a trip report and some pictures.

-jmc

PostPosted: July 25th, 2012, 11:35 pm 

Great news jmc! Glad to hear you had a good trip and I look forward to seeing a report and some photos in the future.
Cheers,
Bryan

PostPosted: July 26th, 2012, 8:34 am 

JMC,
Glad we could be of help. Yes the Porcupine is one of Saskatchewan's gems that is unknown to most paddlers. Paddling it when I was a novice tripper is one of my fondest memories. Second on my list is the Grease. Have you paddled it?