View topic - Paddling in Meadow Lake Provincial Park

It is currently November 13th, 2019, 10:12 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: June 22nd, 2016, 2:41 pm 

Hi all. I've spent a number of years in Meadow Lake Park, mostly up at Kimball, but I have yet to explore all of it's great rivers and streams. Last year I did a day trip with a friend starting at the Rusty Creek bridge on highway 224, paddling through Rusty Lake and out into the Waterhen down to the Dorintosh bridge. We took our time and did a little fishing in Rusty and had a blast. We want to do more paddling this year but I am unsure where to go.

I've tried to research some alternate routes but from what I can tell they aren't viable, one was Pietihigan through to Mustus but apparently there are a lot of beaver dams in that creek. The other was Mistohay lake and taking the creek down to the highway, but I guess that creek is very narrow and shallow.

So the last one I was looking at was the Waterhen River east of Waterhen lake and taking that up to the bridge on highway 903. Anyone have experience with this leg of the river? Is there a place to put the canoe in east of Waterhen Lake? We'd like to avoid the bigger lakes if we can. We are decently experienced on the water but this year we are bringing along some of our kids and they are ages 12-17 but do not have much paddling experience.

We also aren't really equipped for over night excursions so they need to be day trips. We are ok with putting in a long day including stopping for a weiner roast. We can start early and just want to be back at Kimball before dark.

Any info anyone could provide or resources to look at would be greatly appreciated, thanks.