View topic - Route 14 first time

It is currently November 21st, 2019, 6:22 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Route 14 first time
PostPosted: July 8th, 2016, 7:15 pm 

Hello! Me and and friend are going to be doing the route 14 canoe exploration in a few days.. He purchased a cheap second hand canoe for it and we just took it in the water and it seems a bit wobbley, more so than other canoes I've been on. Just wondering if there is any way to stabilize it or make it less sketchy and or if it's suitable for the route, we have never gone on a long canoe trip like this and are very eager to get out and try it.
My questions are:

1. How treacherous are the waters from maligne to Amisk (we are doing every available portage)
2. How many hours a day do we have to be paddling at a half decent speed to complete the route
3. What can we do to stabilize this canoe to better our comfortability
4. Where do we register at to get that cool certificate "Saskatchewan vouyager"

Only photo I have at the moment (we did some minor precautionary patches in some rock Knicks and a slight hairline crack. Also some more repairs that were after this picture)
http://i65.tinypic.com/2iua1l.jpg

Post subject: Re: Route 14 first time
PostPosted: July 8th, 2016, 8:25 pm 

It appears way undersized for two of you. It looks like about 13 feet long and a kids canoe or at best a cottage canoe.
If its tippy now it will firm up with gear but if you are so top heavy that you feel tippy its not the way to go.

Looking at your route one portage is mandatory less you wind up swimming with a broken boat in class 4.

Its not a wild route but not recommended for first timers with a chopper gun canoe. I have no idea what the consequences of a canoe bust up would be. Can you walk out ?

PostPosted: July 8th, 2016, 10:02 pm 

Thanks for the reply, we have been looking into other options for a safer travel, full aluminum seems like the way to go, will update as we decide on something, we did take it into wascana lake in Regina and it wasn't terrible but we were also just sitting on the seats and didn't have any equipment, I've read that kneeling is the appropriate stance for paddleing.. But my friends canoe I can stand up and paddle on it no problem

PostPosted: July 8th, 2016, 11:35 pm 

I have to agree with LRC. The canoe seems very small and low volume for two adult males and camping gear.
I've done part of this route (it's a long story). The approaches to the portages were obvious and easy so, if you have some moving water experience and can read a map, I don't think that you would be swept down a rapid unintentionally. I think that Amisk Lake would be your biggest challenge. It is a large lake and with a small, overloaded boat, you could easily get yourselves into trouble.
It sounds like you don't have a lot of experience. I'd suggest you get a larger canoe, take some lessons and certainly practice on day trips before you commit to a trip on moving water which also includes a large lake. If you really must do a trip, consider the McLennan Lake area (or similar).

PostPosted: July 9th, 2016, 7:28 am 

Kneeling in a canoe improves stability but there are lots of people who canoe safely who dont want to kneel, cant kneel and just like to sit. Being higher your center of gravity is higher so the tippy effects with a too little canoe are magnified.

Can you beg or borrow a 16 foot aluminum?

The boat you have is fine for cottage use..messing out on and in a small lake. If you dump you drag it back to the dock..

You have to think a little differently from going out for a day paddle to going on a trip even though your route might be fine for a starting canoeing career.

PostPosted: July 9th, 2016, 9:14 am 
CCR Assistant Administrator

Mindtain wrote:
4. Where do we register at to get that cool certificate "Saskatchewan vouyager"

Voyageur Certificates
http://canoesaskatchewan.rkc.ca/certif.htm

Barbara

PostPosted: August 2nd, 2016, 4:09 pm 

Just got back from there. You can portage most of the rapids except part of Snake Rapids, but it is fairly simple. The big issue is the lake, when it got windy it was wild. Luckily we only had 4 km's into the wind, took us 2-1/2 hours with experienced paddlers. Rest of the trip was calm so we cut off quite a few miles not having to follow in behind the islands.
Should be able to do the trip in 4 days easily, allow at least 1 for the Lake with another if it gets windy.

Keith Ashdown