View topic - Accessing Hickson/Paull river from Hwy 102

It is currently September 18th, 2020, 6:46 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: December 14th, 2019, 3:57 pm 

Hey,
Hoping someone can help me out. I’m looking for some route information to get into Hickson lake without using an airplane. I’ve heard tell of a route that starts off hwy 102 at either McLennon or Brabant but just can’t seem to remember the fine details.
Thanks for looking
MC

PostPosted: December 14th, 2019, 11:14 pm 

Hi -

I have not done that route, but I have talked about it with Ric Driediger from Churchill River Canoe Outfitters, who could provide you with more details.

My recollection: from Brabant L upstream on the Waddy River to the north arm of Upper Nistoassini L; portage west to Dougal Lake; continue to Copp Lake; portage to Asiski L, through Oneman L to Missi L; SW (up the Pink R) to Hickson Lake.

Jason White (who posts here occasionally as jwhite) has done this route from Brabant, continuing down the Paull and Churchill back to Misinipe. You might try contacting him by PM. If that fails, send me a PM and I will send you his e-mail.

Happy planning,

jmc

PostPosted: December 18th, 2019, 8:31 am 

Getting out of Hickson via Paull could be fun.
These fellows did it with the help of some wine.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tY6YxuaozDA

Ric of Churchill River Outfitters says the Brabant to Hickson route is challenging but rewarding.
He figures a couple parties a year go through.

PostPosted: December 18th, 2019, 9:58 pm 

Thanks guys.
Buddy of mine has a camp on Mirabelle and is wondering about the route. They generally see a few parties every year paddling out.
Thanks for the video link. Love the Paull, it’s one of those trips that pretty much has it all.

PostPosted: December 20th, 2019, 11:41 am 

A few years ago I was contemplating doing the Hickson-Paull route and while going over maps I thought that there might be a route from Roundish Lake (near McLennan Lake) down toward Forbes Lake but then taking a turn northwest of Batter Lake up toward Bracken Lake. I spoke with Ric about this possibility and he said that someone had done that route fairly recently (last 5 years?). I'm not sure of the exact route that they used north of Bracken Lake but I'm sure if you contacted Ric, he would let you know.