View topic - SK government Canoe Route publications

It is currently December 12th, 2019, 12:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: July 2nd, 2018, 2:19 pm 

I have a few copies of the more than 50 publications.
At one time, Rebecca Kennel had provided most of them, but I am now unable to find them.
Anyone know whether they are still available?
Thanks, Allan

A literal mind is a little mind. If it's not worth doing to excess, it's not worth doing at all. Good enough isn't.  None are so blind as those who choose not to see. (AJ)

PostPosted: July 2nd, 2018, 5:27 pm 

Good question, I can't seem to find them. I had noticed Rebecca's site was down a week or so ago. I'll look into this. I know the gov't wanted to pull them from the website but a friend who works for Sask Parks convinced them to keep them out. Maybe bureaucracy eventually won out. (I can still find trip #12, but that's it.)
Bryan

PostPosted: July 2nd, 2018, 5:58 pm 

Same here, I was looking for them this winter and the site I think they were on when I found them in 2016 no longer exists (www.canoesaskatchewan.rkc.ca).

It's likely they are still online on a page somewhere that is not linked to.

Perhaps the old site morphed into this site https://canoekayaksask.ca/ and possibly they know where the guides/maps have gone to.

PostPosted: July 2nd, 2018, 6:44 pm 

No, Canoe Kayak Sask is the "sport" side of paddling, the competitive folks and although they technically have a Rec Division for non-competitive paddlers, they have as little to do with us as possible (though they are happy to take the $$ from the 1400+ members of the Saskatoon Canoe Club, Recreation Division and rec members outnumber the competitive members by a significant margin).

The old site you linked to was a personal web page and it seems she's no longer hosting them, but she may still have copies.

PostPosted: July 2nd, 2018, 6:47 pm 

OK, so they are hidden right under our noses. Here at MyCCR the listing linking to the individual routes still works: http://www.myccr.com/canoeroutes/Saskatchewan

They are still hosted on the gov't website but aren't linked from the Sask gov't website anywhere.

Bryan

PostPosted: July 2nd, 2018, 9:45 pm 

pawistik wrote:
OK, so they are hidden right under our noses. Here at MyCCR the listing linking to the individual routes still works: http://www.myccr.com/canoeroutes/Saskatchewan

They are still hosted on the gov't website but aren't linked from the Sask gov't website anywhere.

Bryan

Faceplant! :oops: I recognize that page, that's how I found the one I was looking for last year!

There are a couple of minor broken links there but I grabbed virtually everything so if/when those pages go down anyone interested can ask for copies.

I'd host them online as a mirror but don't want to run afoul of the SK copyright bureaucrats! :rofl:

PostPosted: July 2nd, 2018, 10:34 pm 

recped wrote:
I'd host them online as a mirror but don't want to run afoul of the SK copyright bureaucrats! :rofl:

They surely must qualify as historical documents by now so should be able to host them just like how Google Books has copies of things like Darwin's On the Origin of Species for free.

PostPosted: July 2nd, 2018, 11:12 pm 

Actually the copyright term would be 50 years from first publication for a "work for hire" but these guides give credit to a named author so it could be life of the creator/writer plus 50 years.

In either case the copyrights are still currently in effect.

PostPosted: July 3rd, 2018, 7:25 am 

PERHAPS the worst that could happen is that you would have to delete the material.

A literal mind is a little mind. If it's not worth doing to excess, it's not worth doing at all. Good enough isn't.  None are so blind as those who choose not to see. (AJ)

PostPosted: July 3rd, 2018, 9:44 pm 

Rethink.
I expect that you would get into trouble only if you were sell the material.
Otherwise, you are assisting to distribute tourist material. Who could object to that?

PostPosted: July 3rd, 2018, 10:49 pm 

I was really just joking around, as long as those links work there is no issue and perhaps "somebody"(not me) might tell SK Tourism that it would be nice if they linked to them from their site so that people could actually find them.

Government bureaucrats are an odd bunch, remember how the old Ontario Canoe Route booklets have pretty much vanished into the ether. Roni Furst was going to republish them at one time, not exactly sure what happened but I don't think she got much co-operation from MNR or Ontario Queen's Printer (they must have copies in their archive).

I downloaded all the SK guides as a just in case, if they eventually take them down I could make them available again and if SK wants to sue me they can go right ahead. It won't be the first time I've been involved in a copyright matter that turned into criminal charges (eventually withdrawn).

PostPosted: July 4th, 2018, 12:09 am 

I get them by using this URL (this one is for Trip #1): http://www.tpcs.gov.sk.ca/canoe1

You can get all of the other reports by copying the URL above and changing the number after "canoe" to 2 or 3 or whatever. eg. for Trip #53: http://www.tpcs.gov.sk.ca/canoe53

Works for me.

Edit: I should have spent a little more time looking for the links at CCR or, at least, reading this thread more carefully. :oops:

PostPosted: April 16th, 2019, 2:33 am 

I think they're gone now completely, unless I'm messing something up from the voodoo that had to be done in previous years. I used it last year for route #20, and found it very helpful. I'm interested in #31 and #32 up around McLennan Lake and no luck. I've got the GoTrekkers map but found the written descriptions helpful.

Any input on how one might access them going forward?

PostPosted: April 16th, 2019, 8:39 am 

I did like what recped said he was doing and and copied them all down when I originally saw the thread. I've sent those two maps off to you in a email.

What should be done to make it available on demand for everyone going forward, I'll leave up to the established members.
Dave

PostPosted: April 17th, 2019, 6:43 pm 

Many thanks to Dave. As he did for me, I would be happy to pass these along if someone requires them. There are no written descriptions of the routes, except for #32. I also have in hard copy which I'd be happy to scan and make a PDF of #1 through #5, #12, #14, #20 and #21. I suppose I had a little forethought last year, but not much and wish I had saved all the PDFs.

If you're like me though and have specific plans for McLennan Lake, that GoTrekkers map combined with stopping by to have a chat with Ric in Missinipe should cover all the bases. The map is great for planning different routes with the caveat that I have not yet experienced the area.