View topic - Things are pumping!

It is currently December 5th, 2020, 10:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Things are pumping!
PostPosted: June 30th, 2020, 11:08 am 

Wow, just looking at the flow and water levels on the Envrio Canada website. Things are scary high all through the north of the province right now. Record highs almost everywhere. Was there a crazy snow pack or tons of rain this spring?
Definitely rethinking our plans for July.
We were going to paddle from Pelican Narrows to Sandy Bay but this doesn’t seem wise Or much fun at these levels, so now we’re looking for a system that is better travelled at high water. Thinking maybe the Cree? Any other suggestions? Lots of time this year, up to 2 weeks.

MC

Post subject: Re: Things are pumping!
PostPosted: July 2nd, 2020, 2:50 pm 

No go eh?! :)

Another question then, does anyone know if the campgrounds are open along the 102 (MacKay Lake, Devils, Hidden Bay)? 2 weeks ago they were closed to camping, open to launching. Can’t seem to find anything on the sask tourism websites.

Thx
MC

PostPosted: July 2nd, 2020, 4:07 pm 

Have you talked to Ric at CRCO? Often the best source for all things Churchill.

PostPosted: July 2nd, 2020, 9:33 pm 

True, lots of knowledge there, but I’m not into bothering businesses when I don’t plan on using their services (too many years of self employment has made me a little hostile towards free lunches). Plus I’d rather try to get my information here from you fine people and maybe spur a little conversation on this forum.

As for the campsites being open along 102, a gentleman at Sask tourism dug deep and called around, finally hooking up with a C.O. in Southend who gave them the green light.

From the latest CRCO newsletter talking about pelicans floating to Missinipe “theoretically they could float all the way, with the continuous water which flows through the Frog Portage as a class 4 rapid with the high water”, as much as I’d like to see that, gonna find calmer waters.

Be safe everyone!

MC

PostPosted: July 2nd, 2020, 9:53 pm 

To your original question...lots of rain...so much so that many beaver dams cannot hold back the the levels and are either burst or overflowing across NW SK...adding to the already high water levels. Tributaries (Beaver, Waterhen, Canoe, Cowan Rivers) flowing into the Churchill are flooded like I have never seen in the 20 years I have lived in northern SK...washing out roads, bridges, and campgrounds. The Clearwater River... which is where I live...although not a Churchill tributary...is rocking.
Not sure about the Cree, right now but all the lakes and rivers west of there are high right now...high water there would probably just wash out some of the rapids.